What's new

THX worth it and size? (1 Viewer)

confusedxx

Auditioning
Real Name
Kris
I have 2 questions here about speakers. I am trying to plan a new home theater system to have integrated into my house (which is being built). It is nothing huge as far as theaters go, but I would like to make it as good as I can.

First Question:
Is THX speakers and components worth it? Do you notice a difference in your DVDs, HD shows or anything else because of THX?

Doesn't the home acoustics play a larger role than having THX? I mean if you put your center channel into a shelf or have it enclosed, this would change the acoustics quite a bit. The same would be if i put down carpet instead of wood floors - this would change the room acoustics and certainly effect the sound.
I know the Bose Lifestyle 48 will change the Digital signal processing to adjust for your room acoustics with some inteligent feedback mechanism, but do all THX receivers do this?

Second Question:
The second question is related, but more involves speaker placement. My wife likes the bose jewelcase speakers because they are small. Though they are not really THX or Hi-fi, they sound OK and are SMALL.

I am trying to convince of the benefits of a better set and thus I come to the question of placement. I know there are some nice speakers which can be embedded into the walls (for front and center channels).

What abou the dipol rear speakers. . . can I have these embedded into the ceiling and still get good sound? I think I will have no chance of having them sitting on stands behind the sofa and having the cabels running everywhere. Since the dining room is behind the sofa (open living and dining plan). Any advice here on speaker placement (especially for rear speakers) would be great. By the way, I am looking at Teufel System 5 THX speakers but I do not think they are so well known here - they are from a German manufacture

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
read this for thx explanation.

you are right that room acoustics are more important than thx certification. bose have many problems but the top ones are 1- poor value, 2- the sats low end does not meet the sub's high end, or at least not at the right crossover frequencies of most systems (80Hz or 100Hz), 3- mediocre quality build/ materials.

as far a specific speakers and placement, there are too many options and variables to give you real advice. but suffice it to say, there are inwalls that sound better than bose and there are smallish speakers that sound better for the same or less money as bose.

i actually think bose do sound ok too. but one can do a lot better than ok for what bose cost, or get similar ok sound for a fraction of the cost. right now you can get the athena micra speakers without the matching sub (center and 4 sats) for $150 from audioadvisor. a cheap if temporary, but decent sound small-speaker alternative.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
1) THX is a branding that has to be paid for by the manufacturer. It's not a certification that is just handed out to any and all components that meet the criteria. So although you can be assured that a THX certified component meets the criteria, you can also purchase non-THX equipment that is either equal or superior in performance, but the manufacturer didn't pay the exorbitant price they charge for certification.

2) You can do better than Bose for lots less money. Do a search for "Small speakers" in the speakers forum and there are many alternatives to Bose that will sound better and cost the same or less.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys

I am working with THX now....let me step in.

The above is hardly true. THX tests each piece of gear prior to certification. There has never been any piece that has passed prior to at least 1 revision.
It is very likely that most "high end" gear would not pass THX cert.

THX is not merely a gear certification program, it is a technology company, consulting company, and educational company.

When you buy a piece of THX gear, you can rest assured that it has been thoroughly tested to performed as stated.

The above being said...you can have THX certified gear and still have a system that sounds (and looks) like crap. A room's characteristics probably makes up for about 50% of the tonal quality of a system's performance.

The above being said:
1. Look for THX certified gear, it is an assurance of quality.
2. Consider room design when making a home theater.
3. Always have the system properly calibrated to perform at its maximal potential.

Regards

Gregg
THX Lead Video Instructor

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
I totally agree with Jeff on this.

"The above is hardly true."

No, the above is totally true. Go arround and audition gear yourself and find out. It's the only way to decide.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
er....
All I do is audition (and tweek) gear.
Gear that is auditioned in a less then ideal environment will always sound much less then ideal.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
I meant that statement for the original poster. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

"Gear that is auditioned in a less then ideal environment will always sound much less then ideal."

What exactly does that statement have to do with THX? It applies to any gear.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Rich
It has to do with my 3 comments:
The above being said:
1. Look for THX certified gear, it is an assurance of quality.
2. Consider room design when making a home theater.
3. Always have the system properly calibrated to perform at its maximal potential.

A very $$$ gear will most times sound much worse then a inexpensive solution that is properly setup.

Then the extension of auditioning gear....needs to be in the correct environment when auditioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks