What's new

THX.. who uses it and with all DVDs or just some? (1 Viewer)

David John

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at the Onkyo 797 and Yammi v1200.
I like the THX features and 7.1 ins/outs of the 797.
But I like the Yammi sound and it has almost all the same features.
Do you find you use the THX post-processing often or just for some DVDs or not at all?
I'm just concerned that some DVDs sound too bright, and i'll need THX processing to make it sound good to me.
Others are fine without it.
AAAAH the decisions! :angry:

Robert Barker

Stunt Coordinator
David,

I have the older Onkyo 777. I think I have only watched one movie in THX mode. That was the first and last. I found it made the sound muddy.

Robert Barker

Austin TX

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Just as CD's vary in brightness, so do DVDs. THX is nice to have but if the overall sound of the Yamaha seems significantly better than the Onkyo, THX probably should NOT be the tie breaker. If a DVD is bright you can always tame it with the treble control.

THX sounds good with some material but it is hard to say whether it makes sources like stereo TV or videotapes any better than DPL II.

All other things being equal, I would opt for THX.

In my experience, Onkyo receivers have a warmer sound to begin with so you might not need THX.

Matt Malto

Stunt Coordinator
I never use THX on my receiver. It collapses the soundstage and cuts the bass. At least to my ears...

John E F

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the Onkyo 797 about a month ago. I actually like the THX features. I don't hear any negative effect on the bass, actually it seems tighter to me. The Re-Eq can be turned on and off, I have left it on to help with dialogue. To me, THX makes front to rear transitions more seamless and the soundstage seems more eveloping instead of seperated. I really like the THX features, but I can see why many wouldn't. THX was a factor in my decision to buy the Onkyo, although the Denon 3802 was a really, really close second. My advice would be to let your ears decide. If you don't like the Onkyo sound, THX won't fix that.

PhilS

Stunt Coordinator
I use THX processing on all DVD's. I have M&K 150THX speakers, which I find to be very revealing, in a good way. But without the THX processing, sometimes the sound of things in movies that in real life can drive you nuts (like fingernails on a blackboard) will, with the volume you play movies at in a good HT, really, really drive you nuts. I find that the THX processing in my system makes the overall sound very accurate, without being harsh at high volumes. Of course, some of this might be room dependent, etc.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
On my Denon 5800 I use the THX post processing for virtually all movies because I like the re-equalization and the decorrelation.

I don't use on any concert or music videos since it ruins the sound of the music.

Patrick

I like the sound of THX and use it on all my movies ( except for Se7en which states not to). I didn't use to with my old speakers because, with those speakers, it would vary greatly from film to film.

With my THX speakers, it is very consistant. IMO, the two need each other to strut it's benefits.

I also don't think that THX is a must, but if you like what it brings to the party, then go for it.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
To combat bright source material, on my Lexicon DC-1 I leave THX re-eq on for all DVDs, add it to many movies on satellite, but leave it off for TV. Spatially, Logic 7 does a better job than THX so I skip the THX and THX-EX modes themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks