What's new

THX vs. DTS.... (1 Viewer)

I think this is a pretty basic question. That is why I am posting it here.

When I buy a DVD and it is labeled DTS rather than THX (ie. my Galdiator DVD), which audio setting should I use on my Denon 4802? Should I use DTS (since this is the the technology that this particular DVD uses)? Or should I use the "THX Home Cinema" setting for pretty much for everything? In other words, am I losing anything by setting my receiver to "THX Home Cinema" while playing a DVD that was mastered using DTS? I *thought* I heard a better soundstage when setting the receiver to DTS while watching Gladiator (DTS version). Maybe I am just fooling myself.

Thanks for the advice

John

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I think this is covered in the primer for new members, but here's the short answer:
THX and DTS are two very different things. DTS is a sound-encoding format, while THX is primarily a quality-control process for audio and video hardware and software. In receivers, THX also indicates a certain approach to the playback of soundtracks, and that approach can apply to DTS, DD, PCM (the digital format for CD) or analog sources.
I'm not personally familiar with the Denon 4802, but most receivers with THX processing allow you to apply it to any format that the receiver can handle. Whether or not you like the effect is a personal decision.
M.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
John,

In a nutshell, THX HOME CINEMA mode is simply a re-eq feature that tames the high end a little. Like Michael suggested-- the THX mode is not a different format- rather it is a processing mode that can be applied to any format (DD, DTS, Prologic).

This cinema re-eq mode was a bit more necessary in the days of LD, due to 5.1 soundtracks being more of a direct port from theatrical maters- but most DVDs are already adjusted for this factor, so the THX mode is not necessary.

THX usually suggests using THX HOME CINEMA mode with THX certified discs, but I would say you should think about THX HOME CINEMA mode like salt on your food, it's just there to add flavor, and there are no hard and fast rules on when to use it and when not to...

-Vince

Thanks for the responses guys! Let me recap...just for my own understanding.

The receiver will automatically take advantage of the DTS audio format so long as the DVD player is configured to do so (ie. setting the DVD audio to DTS vs. Dolby Digital). Telling the receiver to use "THX Home Cinema" is merely adding THX's "flavor" (salt as Vince stated) on top of the DTS format. It now simply becomes a matter of what sounds better to the ear.

Does this sum it up accurately?

John

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The receiver will automatically take advantage of the DTS audio format so long as the DVD player is configured to do so (ie. setting the DVD audio to DTS vs. Dolby Digital). Telling the receiver to use "THX Home Cinema" is merely adding THX's "flavor" (salt as Vince stated) on top of the DTS format. It now simply becomes a matter of what sounds better to the ear.
You pretty much got it!

The only additional statement I would add to the above is that you must have your player configured to pass DTS signal, and then must select the DTS track from discs where it is available. Many people don't realize that most players ship with DTS set to off inside the player, and you must access a menu to enable it.

But other than that-- you got it. DTS and DD are sound formats for the digital audio, and THX Mode is simply a processing of those sound modes to add flavor.

-Vince

Excellent! Thanks again. One of the first things I do with a new DVD player is turn on DTS. I also make sure that I always check which sound formats are available on the DVD and select the appropriate one.

Thanks,

John

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
With the 4802 you can use THX post processing over the DTS 6.1 ES on the Gladiator DVD, the receiver will say

"THX DTS-ES Discrete 6.1" (if you have a 6.1 speakers set up)

I usually leave the mode on "Auto" so when you put in a Dolby Digital EX dvd it automatically selects "THX Surround EX" and when you put in a DTS-ES 6.1 DVD it selects "DTS-ES DSCRT 6.1"

If you look at Page 44 in the manual it tells you the receivers best settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks