THX vs Avia

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Harrison, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Mark Harrison

I recently purchased the Phantom Menace DVD and it had a THX set-up feature for video (I believe T2 also had one though not as good) that I decided to try out. In my opinion, the resulting picture I achieved using the THX video set-up was superior to the one provided by avia for my 32" RCA. I also think that it was simpler to use and interpret the final result as optimized. This would certainly make me think twice about using the Avia disk to set up my video. Has anyone else had similar thoughts?

2. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Although a bit more complex and involved, Avia offers a better overall set of tests than THX. I've found (and I think it's intended) that the settings on the THX optimizer vary for every film. So Avia will give you better results on a wider range of transfers.
    Also, I noticed that the audio levels varied from THX disc to disc, so again I prefer the Avia signals to calibrate my system.

3. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

While the THX optimization may produce a decent result, Avia is much more comprehensive. I love having tests for red push and geometry, and using these has made my TV look infinitely better than one that cheap should. [​IMG]
    And as the previous poster stated, THX Optimode is usually disc-specific... whereas Avia adjusts your set by the NTSC standard.

4. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

THX OptiMode is specific to the film its included with.
    Meaning that Toy Story 2's THX OptiMode will not calibrate properly if you are watching Fight Club.
    You use the THX OptiMode on the DVD to tailer your television to that film's color, brightness, and sharpness.
    Avia is a much better choice if you want to set your system up correctly for all your films.
    ------------------

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    IIRC, the Phantom Menace Optimode audio menu has a caveat saying that the audio test tones should not be used for setting speaker levels. I would definitely go with AVIA in that case. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

6. DanL

DanL Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I noticed that "official" TV calibration levels were too dark for Episode 1, but the THX Optimode set up makes it look normal (ignoring the big EE complaints)