What's new

THX video setup (Pirates of the Caribbean DVD) (1 Viewer)

After setting up my new JVC (AV34WP84) pretty much the way I want it I decided, just for a lark mind you, to have a look at the THX video setup thing on the Pirates of the Caribbean DVD. Imagine my suprise on the brigtness setup screen when I couldn't see the THX logo at all, never mind the logo minus drop shadow that you're supposed to see. I ended up having to crank my brightness from like -4 all the way up to 17 to be where they say I am supposed to be! Well, I found that to be high just by eye, never mind by proper calibration.

Now, I know I've always liked to have a darker picture than the average Joe, and I know that I sacrifice some picture detail in dark scenes because of this, but I was really suprised that the "proper" setting was as high as it was.

Anyone have any comment?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
you shouldn't see the drop shadow behind the logo, it is BTB. I don't like using THX discs for calibration because I haven't trusted them in the past. If you use Avia or DVE, you can choose between accurate paterns at different APL, which will help you reach a black level compromise between as black as possible versus improved shadow details depending on which pattern you use.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Chris, huh?

As I recall the instructions say to adjust until you see the drop shadow.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I don't recall what the instructions on the THX DVD say, but I don't believe that's what they say. You sure you're not missing the part after that where it tells you to bump it back down?

The drop shadow behind the THX logo is below black, it should not be visible when you're done calibrating. The array of black boxes at the top end with two boxes that are also below black (the furthest to the right is the darkest. You should not be able to distinguish these either, or your black levels are too high. The third box is is *ever* so slightly above black: 17. The background is black, 16. The whitest squares are reference white.

if you need a picture of this to help you, pm me your email.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Some DVD players will not allow you to see the drop shadow behind the THX logo. It tells you that right in the instructions, my DVD player won't. You then follow the alternate instructions with the 7th darkest box(I just used THX settings last night with Terminator 2).

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Indeed, DVD players that are clipping data will often clip the BTB drop shadow. This is undesireable. If this is happening, you want to lower black to the point that the above-black portions are no longer visible, then raise the black level again until they become visible. Note that Avia does not contain BTB material, so following the directions in the Avia disc will not change regardless of whether your DVD player/system is clipping BTB data or not.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I've used Avia and THX Optimizer with the same DVD player, and the settings were the same with both. I've tried 3 different THX movies and the settings(contrast and brightness) were all the same. Just for information.

darrylCHER

Stunt Coordinator
I found the exact same results as Jim Mcc, regarding Avia and any THX optimizer. (contrary to POPULAR belief!!)

Darryl

Then I obviously like (and am subjecting my family to) video output that is far too dark. Funny they haven't complained before now! :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks