THX Ultra certified receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antoine Peltier, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Antoine Peltier

Hi all,
    Can anyone tell me which companies make THX Ultra certified receivers, with model names and prices if possible?
    What's the best value out on the market as of now or in the near future?

2. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

WHY?

3. Antoine Peltier

curious...and would like to see how much they're trying to rip comsumers off for their little logo.

4. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    and are there any pre/pro's in the works with this THX Ultra certification???
    ------------------
    -Mark
    **** Digital Vortex ****
    The Digital Electronic Site
    www.digitalvortex.com

5. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

>Can anyone tell me which companies make THX Ultra certified receivers, with model names and prices if possible?
    Ultra II models should be out soon. It's up to you whether you'd want to bother with this now that Dolby EX is official.
    >What's the best value out on the market as of now or in the near future?
    'Value' THX receivers? Now I've seen everything...
    Pioneer make the cheapest THX models. I think Kenwood also make some. They're not my cup of tea however... but the URL is there for the taking.
    T.

6. Espen Braathen

Espen Braathen Stunt Coordinator

These are the manufacturers you should look into:
    * Denon
    * Pioneer
    * Onkyo
    * Harman/Kardon (AVR-8500, out soon?)
    * Marantz
    * JVC
    The THX website have a database on equipment, but its not always updated IMO.
    THX has much to offer, I suggest you ignore the nah-sayers who probably can't afford to own high-quality equipment...
    Espen Braathen

7. MatthewJ S

I actually own a fantastic receiver that is THX certified, of course it would be equally fantastic if it were not rubberstamped...in fact it would have been cheaper, not for me ,mine was nearly free...
    de-correlated rears? multi-channel and dplII ,SO WHATS THE POINT.
    Cinema re-eq? Done now in re-mastering edit ,so,
    redundant.
    The garuntee of ref levels in specific rooms? are you kidding ?I've tried to get the elites in my store to just get out of their own way ,with little luck!

8. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

You all sound so bitter...it makes me sad. You do realize that you are talking about audio/video components don't you? Not some bad re-run of the X files. There is no conspiracy. Lucas sees some value in THX and if you agree...great. If not, you can always select another receiver.

9. MatthewJ S

Of course lucas sees some value, quite a lot actually, he gets the royalties...
    The reason I get huffy about this is that when one related member of my industry mis-markets(or allows others to) a feature as a format and implies that the equipment that bears the logo does things that those without can't do, I feel it's dishonest or at least less than perfectly up-front.
    As far as I'm concerned if a unit has the rubberstamp or not, only enters into my decision about the unit in relation to cost...
    I have seen gear that would certainly pass his standards that are not certified and I have seen gear that I can't believe DID pass his standards that was licensed
    again for the record I do own a licensed product

10. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

11. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Plenty of junk has been THX certified.
    - Lame speaker packages from Technics, Altec Lansing, etc back around 1994-1997 (many more similar packages in the $2000 range with wimpy bass and horrible music playback)
    - THX certified interconnects/speakerwire, boy those really caught on :grin:
    - THX certified VHS tapes
    - the many screwed up THX certified DVD releases as well as questionable standards (non-anamorphic, reversed surround channels, The Highlander)
    - THX certified DVD players, duh, that was almost as popular as the THX wire
    There are many good products that wear the THX badge but there are at least as many bad products that do also.
    The point is that THX guarantees nothing.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater Page

12. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

13. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

14. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

My B&K 307 is also THX Ultra certified...guess it wasn't on the list. [​IMG]
    - Chip
    ------------------

15. MatthewJ S

Chip ,my 307 is in my living room system and I love it!
    But my feelings towards it's certification are that B& K did nothing to achieve that certification that they weren't already going to do anyway...as for what it adds in price ,no one will say.There have been, in the past some amps that were not certified one year but certified the next (with no apparent changes in specs)that went up in cost several hundred dollars...as to weather that was just to licensing fees or also do to the manufacter's belief that they could now charge more for the same product ,who knows(at least no one will say), but I suspect a lot of both!!!!
    I can only say that because I have seen both good and bad product bearing the logo ,to me it indicates nothing except three little letters that make some consumers believe that it is a decoding format or compression scheme that they have to have or they won't be able to play certain movies on their equipment.
    as for decorrelating surrounds, cinema re-eq ,or hitting certain ref levels of playback...many mfgrs do these things w/o charging extra for the audio version of the "good housekeeping seal of approval" that lucas charges for...
    by the way, I've been to "the ranch"

16. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Well, I gotta admit that I've never cared for THX. The fact is I've seen non-THX gear that would absolutely smoke THX gear. And to be honest, THX has certified some gear that is absolutely some of the worst stuff you could imagine. And they did it for no other reason than for the money they got paid to do so. I understand THX is not a quality control program. But if they're deciding whether a piece of equipment is good enough to be THX certified, and they have the ultimate say-so, then surely they've got to have the guts and decency to turn down bad equipment. A lot of times they haven't. That leads one to believe the reason they didn't was for the money.
    Now, on the flip side, I've heard some incredible THX systems. THX can be very good, in it's best form. But I believe you can get just as good of performance out of a non-THX system as you can a THX system. You don't need that stamp of approval to guarantee an awesome home theater.
    As for Lucas, he really didn't have much to do with THX. Tom Homlinson(did I spell that right?) started and ran the THX program under the Lucasfilm banner. But Lucas really never had much to do with it. So I don't necessarily fault him. Nor do I fault Homlinson. But to me, there doesn't seem to be any consistency with that program. And Lord knows how much they charge to certify something, and how much of that cost gets passed down to the consumer.
    One last point. Where I admire THX and where I think it's had the biggest impact is in the commerical theater market. That's how it started out. That's where it's really done wonders. So many commercial theaters have been drastically improved by the THX program. So were even dreadful, and under the THX program, have become very good.
    [Edited last by Hubert on November 09, 2001 at 11:55 AM]

17. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

18. Andy F

Andy F Stunt Coordinator

Are you saying that the THX logo must not increase price greatly because of this example of Bryston amps? You have to remember that the profit margins on the Brystons are pretty high and that the company could easily absorb the added cost internally, opposed to most other companies where the margins are smaller and they don't have as much room in the price. I don't think there is any doubt that the THX, while it started out as a great idea for theaters, has become much more of a marketing scheme than a sign of a quality home theater. I would personally lean towards a product without the certificaiton, all other things being equal.

19. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

20. Paul E V

Paul E V Stunt Coordinator

Hmmmmmmm .........
    Had to skip over some of the ..... uh ........ arguement, whether THX is good or bad or defeatable by non-THX ... uhhhhhhhhhhh .....
    I think the original post was -- Who makes THX-cert and what prices
    For Pioneer equipment click the 'Pioneer' in my sig
    ------------------
    'Pioneer 'ing a new level of Home Theater
    My Equipment List / Copper & Rosewood Flexi idea