THX twice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Barefoot, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Joe Barefoot

Joe Barefoot Stunt Coordinator

OK...I've got a question. When I watch a DVD that is "THX certified" with my Lex with Logic 7 re-eqalization enabled, am I re-equalizing a sound track that has already been re-equalized? It all sounds great to me...just asking. [​IMG]

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Depends upon the DVD. Most newer discs have been "equalized" for HT so THX's re-equilization isn't necessary. Older discs, however, still benefit from it.

3. Joe Barefoot

I agree, some don't , that older disks benefit from re-equalization. I guess my question is....Do the new disks that already have re-equalization suffer... from Logic 7 re-equalization (again)? I am assuming that if one uses THX processing on their pre-pro/receiver, that it recognizes the THX flag on the DVD and automatically turns off it's own re-equalization function. Is this a correct assumption? Does Logic 7 do the same if I am correct?

4. Will Gibbons

Will Gibbons Agent

Re-equalization can be manually turned off or on. I have had a THX Onkyo receiver and a Lexicon. Both allowed for this. In the Lexicon's case, the ability was both for a THX mode and for DD 5.1 Logic 7.

5. Joe Barefoot

Thanks Will,

I was aware that re-equalization can be turned on and off. I was just wondering if it SHOULD be turned off with a THX disk (that already has re-equalization). Or, does something automatically happen in the pre-pro so that I don't manually have to turn it off. Or, if I don't turn it off with a THX disk, am I getting re-equalized twice?

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The fact that a disc is THX-certified doesn't necessarily mean that it's been re-equalized at the encoding stage. THX Re-Eq is a function of playback. But, as noted, many DVDs are remixed and re-eq'ed for "near field" playback. Whether or not you should leave the re-eq on or off on your decoder depends on your equipment (esp. the speakers), the acoustic character of your listening space and your personal taste.
    I always leave it on.
    M.

7. Joe Barefoot

"The fact that a disc is THX-certified doesn't necessarily mean that it's been re-equalized at the encoding stage."

I didn't know that. Is there a way to tell if a disk has been re-eq'd. Is it usually stated on the package? Do you leave your re-eq function on with these disks?

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

9. Joe Barefoot

Thanks Michael...Great forum!