What's new

THX twice? (1 Viewer)

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
OK...I've got a question. When I watch a DVD that is "THX certified" with my Lex with Logic 7 re-eqalization enabled, am I re-equalizing a sound track that has already been re-equalized? It all sounds great to me...just asking. ;)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Depends upon the DVD. Most newer discs have been "equalized" for HT so THX's re-equilization isn't necessary. Older discs, however, still benefit from it.

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, some don't , that older disks benefit from re-equalization. I guess my question is....Do the new disks that already have re-equalization suffer... from Logic 7 re-equalization (again)? I am assuming that if one uses THX processing on their pre-pro/receiver, that it recognizes the THX flag on the DVD and automatically turns off it's own re-equalization function. Is this a correct assumption? Does Logic 7 do the same if I am correct?

Will Gibbons

Agent
Re-equalization can be manually turned off or on. I have had a THX Onkyo receiver and a Lexicon. Both allowed for this. In the Lexicon's case, the ability was both for a THX mode and for DD 5.1 Logic 7.

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Will,

I was aware that re-equalization can be turned on and off. I was just wondering if it SHOULD be turned off with a THX disk (that already has re-equalization). Or, does something automatically happen in the pre-pro so that I don't manually have to turn it off. Or, if I don't turn it off with a THX disk, am I getting re-equalized twice?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The fact that a disc is THX-certified doesn't necessarily mean that it's been re-equalized at the encoding stage. THX Re-Eq is a function of playback. But, as noted, many DVDs are remixed and re-eq'ed for "near field" playback. Whether or not you should leave the re-eq on or off on your decoder depends on your equipment (esp. the speakers), the acoustic character of your listening space and your personal taste.
I always leave it on.
M.

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
"The fact that a disc is THX-certified doesn't necessarily mean that it's been re-equalized at the encoding stage."

I didn't know that. Is there a way to tell if a disk has been re-eq'd. Is it usually stated on the package? Do you leave your re-eq function on with these disks?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks