THX speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JasonPetty, Sep 16, 2004.

1. JasonPetty

JasonPetty Auditioning

How do you guys feel about THX certified speakers? Worth the extra dollar or not? I'm puting together a theater in my new home and have about $3k to spend on speakers. The entire house is going to be Klipsch and right now I am trying to decide between their R-7 line or their THX Ultra 2 setup.
    I'm getting all of these at dealer cost so it will in fact stay within my price range, but the Ultra 2 line runs about $500 more than the reference series...

Is it worth doing?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you are going to drive them with THX cert amps, or amps of a similar quality, then by all means. Is it necessary? Probably not. It just means something to the effect of they are capable of playing at reference levels for at least two hours without melting.

Have you listened to either of them yet? The refs are already going to get pretty loud. What do you plan on driving them with and what size room?

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jason,

John's question is highly relevant:
    If this is a movie-only system, go for it. However, if you intend to listen to any music, you might want to take a different route. Many reviewers don’t care for the imaging qualities of THX speakers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. JasonPetty

JasonPetty Auditioning

It's a movie only system. The room is 19x18, one door, all enclosed, and walls are filled with sound baffling. They will probably be driven by a Yamaha RX-Z9, or an Integra DTC-9.4 PreProcessor & DTA-9.4 Amplifier...both are THX Ultra 2 systems. I have heard both sets, but the THX certifieds I only heard for a short time...I have heard the Ref-7's quite a bit.

5. JasonPetty

JasonPetty Auditioning

Oh, and the Ref-7's are a bit more efficient. I think the sensitivity of the R-7 main speakers is 106db.

6. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

Questions about THX components tend to cause more division than politics, buy since you asked I'll bite. I agree with Wayne that THX speakers aren't great on music, and personally I wouldn't pay one dime extra for anything THX. There may have been some advantage to THX processing for ProLogic but with DD and DTS all You're paying for is a licensing fee to Lucasfilms, IMO.

7. JasonPetty

JasonPetty Auditioning

See, that's good info. I hear good things and bad things, but not sensable things. Most people just comment with emotion and not reason when it comes to this question.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    No emotion here, I’ve never heard any THX speakers. [​IMG]

My understanding of THX speakers is that they strictly limit vertical dispersion, to minimize reflections from the floor and ceiling. The result is a fairly tight and focused soundfield - great for movies and dialog reproduction, but too “constricted” (I guess the word would be) for music, where a broad and enveloping soundstage is typically desired.

By the way, when you’re talking about 106dB efficiency ratings, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over whether or not one was “a bit” better. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. John Garcia

John
    Save the $$, get the Refs, and put that $500 towards an SVS [​IMG]

10. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Some of my movies have music in them. How can you recommend speakers for a "movie only" system? Patently absurd.

11. JasonPetty

JasonPetty Auditioning

I got to hear the THX speakers and the Ref's for a direct comparison earlier...no contest the THX ones sound better. The sound is just so much more balanced...nothing missing. With the ref's there was something not quite there...maybe a bit of mid range, maybe a bit to much bass....couldn't put my finger on it. The THX set just sounded more natural, more real over all.

12. John Garcia

John
    Just to add to the mix, I'd recommend you audition other speakers as well... I'm not a fan of Klipsch at all, so what you may be hearing is slightly rolled off highs with the THX speakers, making them more listenable, and making the upper midrange seem cleaner. You have to also make sure you were listening to each set of speakers with the same processing and same approximate setup, meaning run the Refs with THX processing to see if they sound the same with the same material.

13. JasonPetty

JasonPetty Auditioning

Same receiver, same positioning of the speakers. Basically we had to receivers one on top of the other and just turned the volumes up and down. Basically the most balanced test I have ever been able to do.

14. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

Sounds like you're leaning toward the THX speakers then. I have to agree with the message above stating that the poster wouldn't buy THX stuff just because it says THX. Personally the THX logo doesn't do much for me. That said, if you hear a $500 difference then those are the speakers to go with. I would do it.

Tony

15. JasonPetty

JasonPetty Auditioning

I pretty much never go for lable...you usually just end up paying extra cash for lame braging rights. In this case though, I am quite impressed.

16. Dave Man

Dave Man Stunt Coordinator

If you are planning on using the speaks mainly for movies-get the THX system. I have an RF-7 system and have spent quite a bit of time listening to the THX setup. For movies, the THX is much better than the RF, it just isn't close. Now, if you were like me and had to pay something closer to MSRP, then I may hesitate just a bit due to the difference in price. (depending on your budget) However, since you can get these for $500 more than the RF-7s, do it. The THX has 2 subs that will blow you away.

Check out the klipsch forum for more and better answers. www.klipsch.com

The difference between these systems is far greater than $500. Buy the THX and you will love them.

David

17. JasonPetty

JasonPetty Auditioning

Thanks Dave! I REALLY wish I could afford doing the 2 subs and the sub amp right now.....unfortunatly, even at what I am paying it still puts them out of my budget. I feel dirty every time I say this, but for a while I am going to have to suck it up and use my 200 watt Cerwin Vega 15". [​IMG]

18. Allen_N

Allen_N Stunt Coordinator

There is an installer on the klipsch forum that has a comparison of the RF-7's to the THX. He pretty much says the THX win in movies but for music, the RF-7's are better. I haven't had a chance to compare the two yet but plan to do soon just for curiosity's sake.

19. JasonPetty

JasonPetty Auditioning

I can definitly see that. I'm pretty much sold on the THX Ultra 2's for my theater at this point, and no way I'd be able to ever afford the 7's after this. Honestly though, I think that however it ends up it will ba a great sounding theater.

20. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

For what it's worth, THX specifies their speakers must have a 12dB/octave low frequency rolloff @80Hz. I would assume the Klipsch THX speakers have that spec, correct?

This means the receiver's internal high-pass 12dB/octave filter will combine with the speakers 12dB/octave rolloff to make a 24dB/octave high-pass filter. This will then exactly match the receiver's internal 24dB/octave low-pass filter for the sub.

i.e. you get the best 80Hz speaker/sub crossover implementation that all THX receivers (and many others) were designed for.