What's new

THX speakers & pre/pro (1 Viewer)

Frank Chang

Agent
I have an old HT, approximately 1990 vintage, one of the original THX certified in my area. Snell's first THX certified speakers, matched fronts, center, 2 subs and dipole sides, Lexicon CP3-a processor THX & Prologic 1. It's time to upgrade the pre/pro. I have not kept up with the advances in technology. I don't want to change my speakers which are all built into the room.

Do I need a THX certified PRE/PRO to match with my speakers?

Will these speakers be OK with the newer 5.1 processing options? I'm especially trying to figure out the role of dipole sides in the new mellenium.

Thanks for your opinions and time educating me!

RichardH

Supporting Actor
You don't HAVE to have a THX certified pre/pro to work with what you got. Sure it's nice, but you don't have to have it. Seems like your current speakers will be fine. ONly thing that might need some consideration is if your surrounds are capable of 80Hz to 20kHz. The older surrounds were limited bandwidth since ProLogic I has limited bandwidth surround info. But, even if that's the case, if you run them "small" you shouldn't notice their deficiency much if at all, since all you'll be missing is some surround hi-frequency info.

Frank Chang

Agent
I'll see if there is a Snell web page with any info on their vintage speakers. Will a THX pre/pro sound audibly better for movies. If so is it because of the THX spec or the improved quality (and price) associated with the THX licensing. I don't need to pay for the prestige of THX but may be willing to pay for some improved performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks