THX Speakers - Any advise?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Flora, Jul 5, 2002.

1. David Flora

David Flora Stunt Coordinator

I am thinking about upgrading my speakers. I have the Onkyo TX-DS989 and I think it's time I upgraded to THX-certified speakers. I figure I'll start with an upgrade here and there - to surrounds and maybe eventually to my front speakers. Anyway, I have no idea what the range is with surrounds or fronts is from the cheapest to the most expensive. I want to keep all the brands the same, so I just want to know if anyone out there has any ideas and websites to visit and prices. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

You don't need to go the THX speaker route for best performance. If you want to however, listen to the Atlantic Technology 370 series. At the other end of the spectrum there is the Snell THX Ultra 2 certified package and TRIAD Platinum series. M& K also makes very good THX certified speakers.

3. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

David, like Bhagi said, don't get hung up on THX certified. It used to mean something in theaters. Hasn't really meant anything terribly special for home stuff. As a prime example how about these THX certified speakers.
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...2&languageid=1
    Do some browsing of the forum and see what brands are popular. Most of them are not THX certified but are just as good and in a lot of cases better than the THX certified stuff out there.

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Saying that however, If I had to do it all over again, I would get TRIAD in-room Gold LCRs, Triad dipole surrounds and moniters for rear surr. Subs would be SVS ultras.

6. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

7. RandyKudor

RandyKudor Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Dustin... you are definitely paying more for the "certification" as the manufacturers must also pay a surcharge to Lucasfilm for EACH speaker sold under the THX certification.

I think Lucasfilm is trying to be like Microsoft...

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

No it's not, but it does make the point really well.

Those speakers are certified with THX's gaming or multimedia or something certification. THX Ultra2 means something. Ultra sort of means something. And if you see something with a standard THX rating it means very little. I may have got that a little wrong, but that is the jist of it.

9. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

It seems that there is a lttle confusion about just what a THX certification means.
    It does not mean that THX speakers are better or somehow different than "all" speakers. It is a group of performance criteria that the certified speakers are guarranteed to possess.
    Usually these criteria have to do with specific:
    1) dispersion patterns and sonic directivity
    2) Decibal or loudness abilities
    3) Frequency response
    4) Tonal balance
    5) crossover points for specific integration
    6) Sometimes a specific type of speaker such as a dipole radiation pattern
    These criteria are deemed valuable to reproduce the THX recorded software in the manner in which it was intended.
    There are many "non" THX speakers that either meet or exceed these standards and will work perfectly fine in reproducing a THX performance, but the "certifed" systems are guaranteed to do so, by their certification.
    The confusion seems to stem from those who don't understand the system and the fact that it is becoming a little "all encompassing" with certifications designated "Ultra" "Select" and even a gaming system.
    If you want more info go here: http://www.thx.com/consumer_products/home_programs.html
    Regards,
    John Casler