THX response to audio calibration procedure

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Sloan, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

I recently E-mailed THX and asked them how best to use their new THX Optimizer. Thx's response was this:

Never calibrate using a DVD disc. Only calibrate using the internal test tones in a receiver or pre-amp.

This is in direct contradiction to their statement regarding the THX Optimizer:

THX Picture and Sound Optimizer (THX Optimizer) is a unique DVD software feature from the THX Digital Mastering Program that allows you to optimize the performance of your home theater system for individual DVD titles. THX Optimizer consists of a series of tests that make it easier for you to fine-tune the audio and video performance of your home theater system. But best of all is that the signals used are equal to the final reference levels set during the mastering of each individual release. Thus, your system's performance can be tailored to each specific movie.

Can anyone clarify?

2. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

I also forgot to say that in stating not to calibrate using a disc...that this also applied to Video Essentials, Avia, etc....has THX gone loopy? My contact at THX is:

[email protected]
    John B. Dahl
    Corporate Brand Manager
    THX Ltd.

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Aside from THX cerified receivers,the built in test tones can be rather unreliable.For instence my Denon 3801 had a rather odd -25dbfs generated level test tone,which would give a 80db target calibration level,so I would use one of the known test discs,and disregard John Dahl's "advice".

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I don't know about using the receiver's test tones...

I think I'll continue to use DVD test tones, AND the thx DVD test tones to decide what to play my movies at. (plus my ears safety of course)

5. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I'd also disregard that advice. I have neither the time, nor the inclination to re-calibrate my system for each individual DVD I toss into my system.

I appreciate the consistency and industry standard that THX has brought to the table. However, many of us value the warm, comfy feeling we get from knowing our rooms and systems are set up to give us the most accurate reproduction we can get. If THX or anyone else plans on making this a moving target from title to title... They lose any credibility they might have with me. If a title is recorded poorly, it's recorded poorly. Period. I have a difficult time seeing consumers tolerate having to boost bass levels, channel settings, and crossovers, every time they toss in a DVD.

Just my $0.02
    --Steve