THX receivers: what are the least expensive?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arthur S, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I've always been intrigued by THX and have heard some excellent demos. THX is not as important now with 5.1 and 6.1 formats. Still, I want to check THX out without dropping a bundle. I believe the Pioneer Elite 43 is one of the lower priced units.

What other THX receivers are most affordable?

Thanks

Artie

2. KyleRoussel

KyleRoussel Stunt Coordinator

Going back a couple years, the Kenwood VR-510 can be had for pretty dirt cheap.

3. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

Kenwood have a very cheap THX Select receiver with spring clips (yecchh!)

VR6070 I believe.

T.

4. Leonard B

Leonard B Stunt Coordinator

5. JesseR

JesseR Stunt Coordinator

A month ago i picked up an integra 7.2 thx select for 580

6. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

THX "Select" = one notch up from "THX" multimedia.
    Those people at THX have sold their souls to the
    devil of commerce and their certifications mean
    next to nothing today. Save your money and buy a
    better receiver without the THX badge.

7. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

I was wondering how long it would take Richard to thread-fart a new THX discussion. Evidently, not long at all. [​IMG]
    -Lyle J.P.

8. JesseR

JesseR Stunt Coordinator

i dont knw how much the thx stuff means. But the I really like my integra 7.2. Thx or no thx for less than 600 dollars it has very good features and the sound is fantastic

9. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

10. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Ha! good one Richard. You've convinced me. [​IMG]
    Jesse, the best place to educate yourself on the benefits of THX is to read their website then post any questions in this forum.

11. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Now that we've gotten the thread farting out of our system, i for one would like to get back to the posters original question. I'd like to see a list of budget THX receivers..

12. JesseR

JesseR Stunt Coordinator

I really just meant by my post THX or no THX i liek the way my reciever sounds..and thats probably the best place to start

13. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

AS much as you may all hate the idea or the post-er, Richard is dead on... THX is purely a marketing campaign used by the "major" manufacturers to lure people into believing they are deriving some benefit from purchasing a THX-certified product. Its pure hogwash! Any good product will meet or beat any of the THX specs they claim are important, so what is the point?
    I would like ANYONE on this forum to precisely name the THX or THX Ultra 2 standards... anyone care to try? And for those denegrading Richard, name ANY one meaningful need for THX certification of a product...

14. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

15. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

Well, I stand corrected!
    You got me there Gabriel... :b

16. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Kenwood 5070 or 6070(cant remember the number) can be found at Best Buy for 599. Cheapest THX receiver I have found.

17. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Seeing that Richard attempted to Hijack a thread that asked nothing about the merits of THX certification with misinformation, but instead about the cheapest receivers available, I will not get back to the original topic.
    As noted earlier, the Kenwood THX select model is probably the cheapest THX model you will find in the stores right now. I lucked out earlier this year getting a brand new Pioneer Elite THX certified 35TX for a little over 400 bucks off of Ubid (damn that THX certification added so much to the price of my unit [​IMG] ). That may be your best bet once the new model year is about to change. You could always check Ebay or Audiogon as well to find some deals.
    J

18. JohnDW

JohnDW Agent

In my effort to try to sort this question out, I've become sort of agnostic on this THX thing - it does however, mean esp with THX Ultra 2
    1. you'll get a strong amp section for HT (albeit not necessarily for stereo)
    2.decorrelaztion -equalizer weill set up speakers to take some of the edge off of most sound tracks (probably desireable for vast majority of HT setups/rooms
    3. sub will be protected from excessive damaging volumes when everything gets routed through the LFE channel
    4. THX DSP is not bad at all for music in my hearings - its not as good as Meridian Trifield, Lexicon Logic 7, or perhaps even Sony Cinema, but when implemeneted with qaulity components does add something to stereo on most CDs Ive heard

It does however, mean you have to have subs that go down to 20 Hz flat, similar drivers in all other speakers and optimized for over 80 Hz crossover (this usually found in smaller two and three way speakers vs full range)

You can get all these elements if you do your home work though, and have a flexible pre/pro with a good sound DSP, a strong well matched amps and apporpriate speakers. I suspect you can save yourself somne moey or get better quality putting it all togetehr yourself, although THX designation for some good products (Pioneer, Denon) does get a good package into novices hands pretty safely, so for the righ audience it can be quite helpful. For dedicated hobbyists however, it can add some confusion.

Just my perspective - Id be interested to hear others thoughts, esp as they diverge from my conclusions - Id love to learn from people who have more experience and knowledge

19. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Jumping in to this discussion which has wandered far off topic of an inexpensive THX Receiver, I have a few points to throw in, in no particular order.

First off, a lot of the negative rants on THX, such as Richard's comments, are for the most part legitimate. A THX receiver nowadays gives you little to no benifit from what mid to high end equipment already provides. It ends up in personal tastes, informed decisions, price justification, and unfortuantely for some false reassurance when they see the THX logo on equipment.

Never feel any pressure for buying THX Speakers. THX Speakers are designed for specifics, specific placement, room size, room shape, room type etc. Unless you meet the criteria, and have actually heard any benifits of THX speakers in demos or in home tests than don't buy them. They will sound flat on music, but yes, will probably sound great at HT. Best thing to do is to buy speakers that sound great with music. Musical speakers will more likely than not sound supurb at HT.

IMO there is a perhaps legit reason for THX not disclosing all the specifics to their certification. Possibly, lets say, if they were to write a 500 page document sheet revealing all their tests, standards, and specifics of hardware and post Processing what's to stop another company from taking what they've got, expanding on it, tweaking it, dropping the price and making a competing certification standard with all the research done for them? Actually that'd be great for consumers, but not for THX. They have to look out for Number One you know. This is just a possibility.

The only THX component I use is a THX certified Denon 4802 receiver. Mainly I like its amp section (not as good as separates, but as good as internals are going to get), and the Post Processing. Not every soundtrack is RE-EQ'd for home, and in the size room I have everything sounds a little to bright anyhow, so I see benifits to me using the post processing algorithem. Also I've noticed soundtracks sounding a little cleaner, and movies sounding more spacious with the THX PP on. One thing I ask is for DVDs which have Re-EQ'd audio tracks to state it. Is there any disadvantage to having RE-EQ on for a track that has already been mastered for home systems? None I've heard, but I have nothing to compare either since I don't know.

From what I've heard for a while now, there are bad non-THX receivers, great non-THX receivers, Great THX receivers, but never heard anything about a THX receiver sounding bad and being a piece of junk. It's like all products or services; people use a product that's good, and get hooked on it, for those who buy GM cars and have great luck with it will continue to root for GM, those who love Denon, or Lexicon will continue to support or buy those, and thos who have had good or great performance with THX will continue to look for that badge for reassurance (whether justified, or un-justified). With that said it's a good thing THX came out 20 years ago, and not yesterday, cause if it did just come out yesterday it probly wouldn't of lived to have seen today.

THANKS FOR READING AND GOODNIGHT!

20. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I think that this thread is a great example of why many people, my self included, are hesitant to post any questions. All to many times I have seen people jump in with unsolicitaed opinions, and the poster be made to feel like an idiot. In the tweaks section, part of the forum rules are not to give an opinion if it isn't asked, I think that should apply to this section as well.

Brandon