THX question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Weldy, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

Is the thx logo worth the extra cash that it seems to add to a reviever.

2. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

THX plain, THX, THX Ultra or Ultra 2.
    Pick your scam.

3. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

THX plain, THX, THX Ultra or Ultra 2.
    Pick your scam.

Richard, I am assuming your gear is non thx certified?

Bob

4. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

5. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

6. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

7. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    THX is like the good house keeping seal of approval. It means a particualr product meets a set THX set of standards. Those standards usually include a given level of wattage, and THX post-processing.

In no way does it imply that the product is better than non-certified gear. Some of my gear is certified, and some is not. It makes no difference to me. There are other criteria that are far more important. Some of the best High End gear in the world lacks the THX badge.

8. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Geoff,
    Your analysis of the 3802/4802 is off. First, the differences between the 3802 and 4802 is substantially more than you make it out to be. Second, take away the $500 remote and the difference is $1000. That $1000 difference in MSRP translates to approximately $200-300 or less in actual cost of the parts/labor/overhead/advertising/manufacturer profit to build in the additional features of the 4802. The $700-$800 markup is to allow the distributor and dealer enough margin to make a profit otherwise you would not be able to get the 4802 for the ~$2000 or less street price. THX does not add $700 to the price. One person who is involved with manufacturing THX equipment said that you could barely buy lunch at a fast food place for what THX charges. Given the size of Denon and the number of pieces they sell worldwide, the cost of THX certification adds probably less than $10 per unit.
    On the other hand, within a manufacturers product line, being THX certified can mean higher overall costs because it costs more to build an amp that can pass THX certification. Taking the 3802/4802 for example, the 4802 weighs ~10 lbs more, which I would attribute primarily to the the beefier power supply. If Denon could get the 4802 certified with the weaker amps of the 3802, wouldn't they have done so? IMO, THX is more useful when comparing low-end amps/receivers and less important as you move up into mid/high level gear.

9. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

This will probably stir up the "Who makes better sounding stuff" arguement, but no Yamaha products are THX certified, reason being that 1. They make alot of their own chips, especially DSP stuff, that probably wouldn't fit into the THX scheme and is proprietary in design. 2. Why bump up the price of equiptment for a name tag?

10. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

11. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Gordon,

I was refering more into the hardware that makes it THX, not so much the cost of just sticking the THX Badge on it, which like you said only costs a few bucks fer unit. The amps, power supply, processors: take them away and put in hardware that wouldn't meet the THX spec, or come just below it, such as what the 3802 has, and you have a lot less cost. Although many people say a 3802 with separate amps blows the 4802 away, although I feel that the amps in the 4802 are very good for an all in one receiver, and should be incrediable if you went 4802+separate THX Ultra amp such as a Parasound 1205A, which I hope to do in time.

12. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

13. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

14. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I'm a believer in THX.

But of course there are good THX certified products and not as good THX certified products. But as of right now, all THX Ultra 2 certified products are great and have features that you definitely want.

When it comes to receivers/processors there are certain features that are very desirable and by having a THX Ultra 2 receiver/proc or THX Select etc. you're getting a product that is guaranteed those certain features. Besides why wouldn't you want more processing? If there's a THX disc that sounds better on a processor that does THX postprocessing why wouldn't you want it? THX is not gonna make every dvds sound better but it will make some dvds sound better. Especially when you have a big room to fill something like THX Ultra 2 has it's benefits. The point is that you're better off having it than not having it (since you can always turn it off) whether it's worth it to you is another matter.

Amp wise I could care less.

15. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

16. Lee Daza

Lee Daza Agent

[sarcasm]

Anybody ever heard of Underwriters Laboratories Inc. ? They charge you some money to test your product and then put a silly label on it. It's a big scam I say. I mean, why would I want to buy a home space heater that has the 'UL' logo on it when another one from East Jabipp looks like it puts out the same amount of heat? Stupid, stupid UL, what do they think? Like they're going to make an entire industry hold to certain quality standards just because of some silly LOGO?! Sheesh.

[/sarcasm]

17. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

18. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

When I'm choosing a DVD, I don't care if it's THX certified or not I just get what I like best. That probably goes the same if I chose receivers in the same price range.
    I've heard some THX multimedia certified equiptment that sounded like utter garbage. That was when I lost some of my respect for it. I also have heard commercial THX certified theaters that are loud, but the sound quality isn't impressive and there is slight audible hiss + projector noise during quiet scenes.
    I just don't think it's worth the money to buy ALL thx certified equiptment and end up with a system that can still sound Different due to room effects and ground loops. Hey, maybe they'll add THX certified rooms and power conditioners soon... and then THX thermostats and seats. [​IMG]

19. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

20. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Buy what you can within your limits. Some people feel more comfortable with the logo some don't. Does it add to the price? Maybe, maybe not. I took a look at the Kenwood VR-6050, VR-6060, and from the specs the only differences are that the 6060 has, Component Video Input/Output, Component Video Switching, Extra Digital Inputs(Optical), DTS ES, LCD Text Remote, Learning Remote, Extra S-Video Input/Output, S-Video Switching and THX Ultra. All for $100CDN(70US) more than the 6050. How much each of these extra's adds to the price difference could only be answered by Kenwood. WHat it all boils down too, is that we as HT enthusiats, until we have THX certified "EVERYTHING" in our setup and that also means our HT listening area we can't honestly say is it worth the extra cash. And unless the makers of the receivers are willing to breakdown the cost of a unit as the automakers do with their base models upto the deluxe we will never know if THX is the main reason for the price difference between to receivers.
    Kevin