What's new

thx processing (1 Viewer)

phyllis

Agent
Hello everyone i have a few questions i was wondering if you can help me with.After calibrating my receiver with avia and apply thx processing on the movie the back surrounds are 2 db less than the fronts.Iwas wondering should i calibrate with avia and engage thx and then calibrate?or shuold i leave it with dolby digital?Is the thx processing just trying to blend the surround in better by trying to blend in with the fronts?AT the moment everything is calibrated at 85 db with avia with the dolby digital setting.Any thoughts????:frowning:

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Phyllis,

When you say THX processing- do you mean 6.1 EX, not THX re-eq?

THX Re-Eq will probably l;ower the level of all channels, since it rolls off top end- and the test tones are pretty top heavy. If your RE-EQ is only lowering the surrounds, that might be another story.

If you're talking about 6.1 EX processing-- I would imagine it would lower the sides slightly because the rear center is the summation of the two side surrounds. So, a signal coming from both, summed to the center would have a 3db boost over what was likely intended. So, it would make sense with a rear center processing that it might duck slightly to overcome this issue of summing the two side channels into a single center (although, i would ahve assumed this would be done strictly on the center rear channel, who knows)

-vince

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
I would just calibrate with Dolby Digital, and leave it at that. What you could do on a cold rainy day when you have nothing to do, is try it both ways and decide what you like.
Good luck and happy listening.

phyllis

Agent
Yhanks for the replies guys.I figured out what i did wrong.Vince you are right i had the r-eq on dolby when calibrating and it offset all the readings.I recalibrated again and levels matched up perfectly with dolby and thx!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks