What's new

THX Optimode test question (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
In the test where you adjust the Picture/Contrast, it says turn up the contrast until its white but not 'blooming'. I have no idea what this means.

I can turn it all the way up and the white will still be contained in the white box, but the contrast would be too high in the movie...

Can somebody clarify this for me how to set this?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The actual calibration discs like Avia and VE do a much better job of not just explaining what it is, but also showing you what it looks like (which is the best way to learn.)

THX Optimode is title specific, the tests are only good for the title they are on rather than any title, and the sound tests are not good for setting levels (I believe the screen even specifically says not to use for channel levels).

If you can't afford to buy one, try looking for a store that rents one or NetFlix might have them.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
"blooming" is when you have the set cranked so high that the edges start "fringing".

it's like instead of having a solid clean edge, the edge starts to get fuzzy and distorted.

like chad said, i think the optimodes are title specific. go grab the new dve - i think it's under 20 bucks in most places. or the s&v tuneup dvd is also a good choice.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, ive been meaning to, but im in canada, so ordering from the US is a bit of a hassle.. I also just recieved my X1 yesterday, needed a quick and dirty calibration...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks