THX Optimizer ?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jim Mcc, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Is it true that the DVD's with THX Optimizer are only intended for use with that particular movie? I'm only talking about contrast and brightness. Thanks.

2. John S

John S Producer

yes that is true....

It is closer than nothing though and does generally at least get you in the ball park.

3. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

I've heard that before. I'm not sure I believe it.

A properly calibrated set should not have to be recalibrated for each movie, which would be the case if every DVD optimizer were different.

I think that may be HT "urban legend."

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Its no urban legend....just go to the THX web site, thats exactly what it says.

But, I would certainly consider the concept itself to be suspect. Why the hell would a DVD producer tweak a monitor away from an industry standard, and expect YOU to tweak your monitor to match? So, from that perspective, if no producers actually use it, perhaps it IS a legend?

But, it will get your monitor in better shape than if you did NOT calibrate, and you can't beat the price, however I think you are better served to use Avia, DVE, or whatever.

Putting that aside, the Contrast pattern is not easy to get right, nor is the sharpness, but the Black Level, Color, and Tint (assuming you order the nifty THX Blue Glasses) do appear to work OK compared to using Avia or DVE.

BGL

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

According to Don Munsil, formerly of the Secrets of Home Theater and HIFI website, Joe Kane tested several THX optimizers and found them to all be different and wrong. That was some time back, so maybe they have improved since then. The whole point is that with Avia or Video Essentials you know you are getting tested and correct patterns. With THX, you don't really know if what you're getting is correct or not. I agree with Brian, it's better than nothing, but with Avia you know what you're getting is correct.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

As has been conveyed to me, the idea behind THX patterns would be to insert patterns before the mastering chain, then have THX-certified players examine the patterns and adjust them to compensate for any problems in the mastering chain.

This is dumb, because of the complications behind the idea, and the fact that if the mastering chain is incorrect, why not fix it, thus eliminate the need for per-title compensation.

The plan didn't get implemented all the way obviously. Ironically, the patterns that got inserted AFTER the whole mastering chain, which is the wrong place according to the whole idea, will then be correct, but won't match the movie per se. In any case, the THX patterns will at the very least be very close, and informative. However, if you're demanding, I strongly recommend a proper calibration disc such as Avia/DVE.

7. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    The THX should take you within the ballpark quite nicely. It's a good enough interim solution until you get Avia or DVE. Don't sweat it. [​IMG]