What's new

Thx Optimizer (1 Viewer)

EduardoBonifaz

Stunt Coordinator
I have a sony widescreen RPTV, thepicture is great watching DVD´s in cinemotion mode, some discs have a "THX optimizer" that is intended to calbrate the sound a video for optimal viewing experience, I have not used the avia disc, so I´d like to know from experienced users , does this thx optimizer works as intended?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It is better than nothing. But note that what it says is correct can only be applied to the film that came with the disc.

Different Optimodes on different discs may yield different results. The nature of the feature.

Regards

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
From my experience there is little to no difference in the THX optomizers found on various DVD movies. I have checked many times and they all show the same thing. I've only calibrated my tv with the THX optomizer and I think it looks great in the Movie mode with the setting for brightness and the like.

Of course i've only got a 24" Wega and from what i've seen, most Sony Wegas seem to be pretty accurate out of the box. I only needed to tweak a few small things in the movie mode to get it set on the optomizer. I think it's a great option if you don't want to spend the money on a special "calibration disk".

Dan.b

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, I've tried 2 different THX Optimode setups on my recently bought Panny RPTV and got slightly different results. Later, I used AVIA and got substantially lower brightness/black level setting. My other settings weren't much different though.

IOW, after AVIA setup, I get a substantially wider/more dynamic range from black to white yielding blacker blacks and more subtle shadow details, if nothing else, for good DVDs. Indeed, I can clearly see the difference in shadow details for DVDs like the LotR:FoTR:EE. I think generally I also get less blocking/banding artifacts caused by MPEG compression due to the wider range than I did before the AVIA setup.

YMMV...

_Man_

PS: Even though my other settings weren't much different, that does NOT mean you will get no difference between THX Optimode and AVIA. AVIA provides methods and patterns for consistently/reliably getting those settings "correct" while the Optimode mostly just leaves it to your biased disgression, especially for color and tint settings. That's fine if you're not really looking for reasonably accurate DVD playback, but just something pleasant looking or close enough to your eyes. And really, it's not quite that easy for everyone to eyeball their colors even for the SMPTE color pattern.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Similar to the Man-Fai, I have compared THX Optimode to the Sound and Vision Calibration disc (from the makers of Avia) and found the only difference to be in the brightness (black level). With THX Optimode, the brightness setting is lower which is actually how I prefer it since I have the uneven brightness problem.
Other than that, I found the two to yield the same settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks