What's new

THX Optimizer (1 Viewer)

Matthew-K

Stunt Coordinator
I was using the THX optimode test on the A.O.T.C. disc, and was reading the section where it states that you will see a drop shadow of the THX logo when the test begins. I think it to calibrate brightness. It states that some DVD players can't produce the drop shadow. My player could not display the drop shadow. Does anyone know why this is? Is my DVD player not good enough? any thoughts?

Andy Kim

Second Unit
I think its because your TV can't display true blacks and thus cannot pass the "pluge" test.
I'm sure someone will come around to correct me.

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
It's not the TV, it's the dvd that can't pass the pluge signal (blacker than black)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
I noticed the Avia DVD mentioned this "pluge" business. You're saying the DVD player is the culprit here? And for that matter, what's the "Block Noise Reduction" setting on my DVD player do?

Maybe it's time for me to head on over to the beginner's forum again :b .

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
It tries to reduce the noise in the video signal. I wouldn't recommend turning this feature on, since It'll soften the picture and get rid of some detail. (The reason for this that the algorithms used for this effectively act as a 2-D low pass filter in a block by block basis in most cases).

If you use avia, they'll mention that the brightness level test will work even if you don't have a dvd player that passes the pluge signal.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Check if your DVD player has controls for Gamma Correction.
If that is set to low on my Pioneer, increasing the
brightness on the projector/display will never reveal the drop shadow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks