THX Optimizer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew-K, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Matthew-K

Matthew-K Stunt Coordinator

I was using the THX optimode test on the A.O.T.C. disc, and was reading the section where it states that you will see a drop shadow of the THX logo when the test begins. I think it to calibrate brightness. It states that some DVD players can't produce the drop shadow. My player could not display the drop shadow. Does anyone know why this is? Is my DVD player not good enough? any thoughts?

2. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

I think its because your TV can't display true blacks and thus cannot pass the "pluge" test.
    I'm sure someone will come around to correct me.

3. AlbertA

AlbertA Stunt Coordinator

It's not the TV, it's the dvd that can't pass the pluge signal (blacker than black)

4. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

I noticed the Avia DVD mentioned this "pluge" business. You're saying the DVD player is the culprit here? And for that matter, what's the "Block Noise Reduction" setting on my DVD player do?

Maybe it's time for me to head on over to the beginner's forum again :b .

5. AlbertA

AlbertA Stunt Coordinator

It tries to reduce the noise in the video signal. I wouldn't recommend turning this feature on, since It'll soften the picture and get rid of some detail. (The reason for this that the algorithms used for this effectively act as a 2-D low pass filter in a block by block basis in most cases).

If you use avia, they'll mention that the brightness level test will work even if you don't have a dvd player that passes the pluge signal.

6. RickardL

RickardL Second Unit

Check if your DVD player has controls for Gamma Correction.
    If that is set to low on my Pioneer, increasing the
    brightness on the projector/display will never reveal the drop shadow.