What's new

THX Optimizer - Which DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Tommy H

Auditioning
Can someone please tell me what more popular movies have the THX Optimizer menu options on them? Also, what popular Sony movies can I use the "7669" calibration code with? Thanks.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I would suggest using BD discs to calibrate for BD, as you're dealing with two completely different standards (BD and DVD). I know most people around here are fans of AVIA or Video Essentials, which are standalone discs.

Tommy H

Auditioning
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're aren't any BD calibration discs out right now are there? I'm just looking to do a quick calibration for my dad this weekend while I'm visiting.

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
For the THX optimizer, you'll find them on the Pixar animated movies like Cars, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., etc.. or the Star Wars discs. Those are the ones that come to mind first.

I don't know if the Blu-ray versions of the Pixar movies have the THX optimizer on them, but if they do, that would be better than using the DVD version as Stephen mentioned.

I've read that there is a Blu-ray version of Digital Video Essentials coming out, but the release has been slightly delayed so that is not an immediate option.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
DVE is being released on March 28, according someone over @ AVS. You're probably best off just using 7669 for now.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I knew it did on SD, but this will help anyone who's interested, as the patterns on that disc were really useful in SD.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
All THX Certified DVDs from Star Wars Episode One on include the THX Optimizer. Nearly all THX dvds from 2000 (beginning with Fight Club) and most from 2001 (I think the old edition of Close Encounters was the last) use the old THX Optimode which is nearly impossible to set up on anything other than a CRT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks