What's new

Thx Optimizer V. Avia (1 Viewer)

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Ok, I'm bringing home my new HDTV monitor tonight, and have a disc with the thx optimizer on it will this suffice for callibration? Or is it just Ok for now until I can get somewhere to buy the Avia disc?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
It is barely ok for now. It will get you started, but THX optimizer is no substitute for a real calibration disc.

I would suggest doing a search on the THX Optimizer here on this forum (basics) and in some of the other forums- you'll find the standard opinion is less than enthusiastic.

-Vince

Cagri

Second Unit
Actually THX optimizer worked fine on my 32" Loewe tube set. I got the S&V HT tune up later on and the differences were negligible, one notch here one notch there... YMMV...

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I own the less expensive Sound & Vision calibration DVD and found it much better to use than the THX optimizer. Mostly because I never had a properly calibrated television before and didn't know what "cyan" and "magenta" should really look like. I tend to run through the disk every month or so to ensure my set is running good (And because I get really really bored sometimes).

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Thanks guys,
I will deffinitely get a cal. disc, the Avia disc seems like a lot of cash though,

Tod Golden

Stunt Coordinator
As always, very well done. I only found one error. I think tey should be try. Third paragraph under THE TOOLS WE HAVE AT OUR DISPOSAL

Example:
They use various test patterns, along with some colored filters and some fun instructions that allow you to make adjustments to your set's controls to tey to get your test material to display properly.

Tod

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Tod,

Fixed, and did a second spell check pass- so that should solve that. I sometimes tend to be wordy-- so I thought if anyone saw anything I could edit and cut down to be clearer- that would be helpful (not to mention any thoughts on issues I might have missed, points about either disc I left out, links I should have included, etc.)

-vince

Tod Golden

Stunt Coordinator
The disc that I have used is one that I picked up at my local BB, which appears to be the S&V version.

About the only thing that worked for me during the calibration process was the color set-up. All the other tests didn't work like how they demonstrated prior to actually doing the test. For example, when doing the sharpness calibration, I didn't notice the type of blurring that was demonstrated.

After completing the video calibration, the colors seemed better but I felt the picture was a little too dark, so I had to increase the brightness a tad.

Overall, I don't think the version that I have is all that good. I will probably spend the cash and get on of the better versions. Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend the BB version.

Just my .02 - Tod

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks