What's new

THX Optimiser - any good? (1 Viewer)

HoiT

Agent
Hi there,

Have a newbie question here. Just got myself one of the last Toshiba 51HX93 CRT RPTV. For the preliminary setup, I am planning to buy a copy of the Digital Video Esential DVD disc. Then one of my friend lend me his Finding Nemo DVD discs - on disc 2 there is a THX Optimiser setup program there helps one to set up the brightness, contrast, colour, tint and sharpness. That is pretty much all the adjustable setting that is available to me. I am quite happy with the result as of now. My question is - then is it still worth it to buy the DVE disc (or the AVIA)?

BTW, I am still debating whether to get the TV calibrated.

HoiT

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The THX Optimizer is useful in a pinch, but something like DVE should not be skipped. DVE offers much more indepth test tones and test patterns. Also, the THX Optimizer is disc-specific, meaning it optimizes things for that movie and each THX Optimizer disc is different.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The THX discs can vary, and are not recommended by pros for anything but basic setup if needed really quickly.

Avia and DVE are more thorough in their pattern sets and allow more advanced adjustments and checks if necessary, not to mention they are well-defined. The THX patterns have been known to vary from disc to disc.

HoiT

Agent
Hey Guys,

Thank you very much for the comments and advices. I do not know that the optimiser varies between different discs. Oh well, I guess I have to get the "proper" discs.

I assumed that the following question has been asked many times - what is the differences between DVE and the AVIA discs? Except the cost , of course.

HoiT

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
In the Primer, I think vince or one of the guys wrote up a good comparison of DVE and Avia. I like to use Avia most of the time, however each has their own attributes that the other has not, so I do own both and need each. I think Avia is probably your better investment, but if you are strapped for cash DVE is pretty much the same, but cheaper.

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
what i noticed about the THX optimizer is that when i go to check the black level, the 7th darkest box does not show unless i have my dvd player set to progressive mode. ?

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
and another thing, i can still see all the white boxes individually no matter how high or low i set my contrast during the contrast test!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks