What's new

THX DVD Players???? (1 Viewer)

Jason AD

Auditioning
Can someone please explain to me the difference between a THX Certified DVD Player (audio wise) compared to a conventional one?? We are talking about a Digital connection spitting 1's and 0's to the Reciever from the DVD player. I'm assuming that a THX Certified product is suppose to be better as far as it is intened to replucate a theater experiance right at home. So a THX DVD player must not only look better but also sound better right?? Well with that being the case I leave you with my original question...

Thanks,
Jason

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
I don't believe it will sound any different then everything out there unless it actually decodes the stream, fiddle with it, reencodes and sends it over the digital out (very unlikely). A 2K$ or THX certified player will sound as good as a first generation Apex player through the digital connection - it's the nature of the beast.

My guess is that the DVD player is simply built using "THX approved" parts and engineering. Whether that actually makes a difference *anywhere* I couldn't say, but highly doubt it.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
No, THX does not mean better. It just means that the unit that bears the logo has matched and/or exceeds its standard.

THX certification on a DVD player also includes ergonomics and ease of use.

Now how a Pioneer DVD player with chroma-bug passed THX certification is beyond me. Maybe their standard for a DVD player is "if it plays DVD, it passes THX video certification; if it outputs sound, it passes THX audio standard; and as long as all the buttons on the remote are only on one side of the remote, it passes THX ergonomics standard".

I love Pioneer DVD players, btw, just bugged by its chroma-bug.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Considering they mentioned the chroma test, why didn't see that there is a major chroma bug on my DVD-37 player? :frowning:

Jason AD

Auditioning
I agree just curious about what you guys thought of it... After I read that it threw me off... I mean we are talking about a Digital Bitstream.... Same thing with THX Certified Cable... I can't justify spending between $1,000-$3,500 on a DVD player that is THX certified when it's preformance is going to be the about the same as my $200 DVD with Progressive scan and Digital Opitical Connection... I mean if all the difference is that the remote is more comfortable on the THX DVD player then I will stick with my $200 model...

Thanks guys,
Later,
Jason

Jason AD

Auditioning
BTW I hope the $2,000 THX certified DVD player records for that price...lol

later,
Jason

Jason AD

Auditioning
Oh i forgot Lucus makes movies so I can see why it would be out of spec... We wouldn't want to record Star Wars or Indiana Jones, when ever that ever becomes a reality and comes out on DVD.... :D

Jason AD

Auditioning
Oh and also forgot to mention that I wouldn't forget to use my THX certified Digital Optical cable to hook up my DVD player to my Reciever...lol...Because that would be the right thing to use....

later,
Jay

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
If you pay George Lucas enough money, I'm sure he'd be willing to put THX certification on a dead squirrel.:D

David Susilo

Screenwriter
That's right! Minimum spec for a dead squirrel: "it has to be dead, but it doesn't even have to be a squirrel"

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
David,
THX started out only certifying waffle makers in the "kitchen appliance" arena, but they have really cheapened this certification over the past few years by now certifying more common appliances, such as toasters, coffee makers, blenders, etc. I fell for the marketing hype and bought a THX toaster. :)

DanielSmi

Second Unit
currently the THX specs don't call for cert. of dvd-a and progressive scan so if yo see the chroma bug on prog scan only then that has nothing to do with THX specs they don't cover that YET. hopefully they will upgrade their specs to include dvd-a, sacd, prog. scan, and maybe even firewire.

Daniel Smith

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I made a few calls and dropped a pretty penny but I am not proud to announce that my Lhasa Apso, my toilet, my bic pen (blue not black)and my key chain have all been certified by THX --- BUT WAIT! I now have a big, bold and somewhat painful THX logo tattooed on my @ss.

Money talks, quality walks

~legal disclaimer~
This post does not nor would it ever receive THX certification without a sigificant contibution
to the Lucas-THX family.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Scott, thank you for the info. Considering prog-scan have been around for about 3 years now, I think THX should have a certification for that by now.

Now, a quiz, what's the difference between THX Select, THX Ultra, and THX Ultra 2?

I'll post the answer soon!

Jason AD

Auditioning
Answer David.... There is no difference they are all a money making scam... I think we can all agree that it has to be a scam... If it wasn't we would see some published specs.... Until I see some specs I will stick with this conculsion... You know I think I am going to come up with my own Standard... call it JAX... Yea thats it...hehehe... The "Jason A. eXperiment" I bet I could make money...

Later,
Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks