HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Martin Dew submitted a new blog post

THX certifies first live music event for Aerosmith
Aero-2.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Reactions: PMF

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
This is not the first time they did this for live music, they also certified Beyonce’s Formation Tour.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Brian. It may be that this is the first installation-specific live certification, but that wasn't clear in press materials.
It would be nice if THX can get back to what they use to be about. They have a partnership with Cinemark and they are certifying all of their XD theaters, and they just announced their first large format theater, but it would be nice to see more and getting back to certifying blu ray and 4k discs. They lost their way after Razer acquired them, but Lucasfilm hasn’t been involved since 2006. Still wondering why Lucasfilm let it go?

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Couldn't agree more, Brian. I was there when THX was spun off and acquired by Creative Labs investors in 2003. Sad day for us all. Probably the company lost its way at that time. Its IP and consumer appeal had always been tied up specifically in movie presentation in all its forms, and it should have stayed that way. When it diversified and moved into car and computer audio and other platforms, the magic just withered away and the message died. Lucasfilm got shot of it because THX's income was a tiny fraction of the other divisions.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Couldn't agree more, Brian. I was there when THX was spun off and acquired by Creative Labs investors in 2003. Sad day for us all. Probably the company lost its way at that time. Its IP and consumer appeal had always been tied up specifically in movie presentation in all its forms, and it should have stayed that way. When it diversified and moved into car and computer audio and other platforms, the magic just withered away and the message died. Lucasfilm got shot of it because THX's income was a tiny fraction of the other divisions.
I remember a few months ago, they did a Facebook Q and A and I asked if they are planning on getting back to certifying Blu Ray and 4K discs, heck even streaming movies, and I got no response on that.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
One of the best cinematic experiences I ever had was when I saw Oliver Stone's Born On The Forth Of July in 70mm, the first week of 1990 at McClurg Ct Cinema in Chicago. The main theater was a THX certified theater, at that time they still said THX Sound System, and I saw that Cimaron trailer with the conductors hand. I wish I saw more at that theater, I saw Gettysberg in 1993, True Lies in 1994, the RAH restoration of Vertigo in 70mm, last film I saw there was The Thin Red Line. I sort of get that excitement back at a Dolby Atmos theater, like where I live now in Arizona, we have the Harkins chain and when I see a film at their PLF's like Cine Capri or Cine 1, it has that excitment of a THX theater back in the day. Even a Dolby Cinema at AMC has it, but still not the same as the first time I entered that theater in Chicago. I regrest not seeing the Star Wars Special Editions at that theater, and went to one closer to my house.

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Yes, amazing how great film presentation just captures the imagination. We had a THX theater in High Wycombe (UCI Cinemas), UK, near where I lived and that was the venue that started my interest in top-notch film presentation, and then led me seek out a job at Lucasfilm. I saw Silence of the Lambs, True Lies, Jurassic Park and Schindler's List (among many others) during the early 90s at that location. The sound was nothing short of extraordinary in those days. Dolby, with Dolby Cinema, has definitely picked up the baton where THX left off. Many of my pals who worked with me at Skywalker in the late 90s now head up Dolby Cinema - we all shared the same passion. If THX hadn't taken their eye off the ball, it could have all been theirs.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Yes, amazing how great film presentation just captures the imagination. We had a THX theater in High Wycombe (UCI Cinemas), UK, near where I lived and that was the venue that started my interest in top-notch film presentation, and then led me seek out a job at Lucasfilm. I saw Silence of the Lambs, True Lies, Jurassic Park and Schindler's List (among many others) during the early 90s at that location. The sound was nothing short of extraordinary in those days. Dolby, with Dolby Cinema, has definitely picked up the baton where THX left off. Many of my pals who worked with me at Skywalker in the late 90s now head up Dolby Cinema - we all shared the same passion. If THX hadn't taken their eye off the ball, it could have all been theirs.
Man, I would love to have worked for Lucasfilm, or nowadays Skywalker Sound which is still part of Lucasfilm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks