THX certified speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Matt Rohr, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Matt Rohr

Matt Rohr Agent

What is the lowest price for THX certified speakers? I do not care what type of THX license they have. I was just curious if someone out there has some additional information then what I have already seen on the web.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

probably some cheapier THX computer speakers.

But why is this at all an issue? I would never limit myself to buying just THX certified speakers, a very bad idea indeed.

3. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...147782&_LOC=US

Imagine the looks on the faces of your guests when you blow them away with the superb sonic abilities of this 2.1 Computer speaker setup. Why will they be "blown away" you ask? Because of the THX Certified logo pasted on the front. Thats why!

Just so you know.. basicly any decent speaker over $50 a pair would probably qualify for some form of THX certification. The thing is, most of these compaines dont want to pay Lucas huge $$$ just to put a stupid sticker on the grill of there speakers.

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

consult this site

I suppose you could buy THX everything, and end up with a system that sounds decent, and doesn't require tweaking.

What subwoofer filter should I apply? THX.
    What crossover setting should I use? THX

etc, etc.

but you'll probably end up overpaying.

5. Matt Rohr

Matt Rohr Agent

I am not limiting myself to the THX labeling. I was just curious. I have just noticed Monster Cable has started their own THX speakers and was wondering what others are available. I have looked on the THX website and thought there were more then those listed. I would never limit myself to the THX label. I purchased my speaker because of the sound quality to my ears.

6. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

FYI Don't buy mon$ter cables either. Click This

Its a horrible company and should not be supported. There are many smaller companies that make great cables for less.

Like http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

They might not look as flashy as mon$ter cables but they work just as well or better.

7. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Unless you are building a home theater containing all THX certified components (including interconnects, etc.) and also want to have the room THX certified, it's a waste of resources (IMO). As previously posted, many products will most likely exceed THX standards but did not pay the large fees associated with wearing the THX badge.

8. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Are there any design peculiarities associated with THX speakers?

9. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

There are guidelines/recommendations for how to set up surround sound on their site, but insofar as specific 'this is how you design a THX theater' I don't think there is.

From what I understand THX is a certification, which essentially says 'the speakers/components/room performs at a level that meets specific requirements'.

10. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    i don't wanna start a new thread, but who makes THX certified speakers anymore? it seems like many speaker mfr are phasing it out or aren't making it anymore. anyone?

i know atlantic still makes some. B&W doesn't anymore. who else? and uh... i don't wanna talk about those low-end computer speakers =).

11. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

M&K still do.

So does Klipsch.

Most buyers won't spend the extra cash to do the THX thing 'right' (EVERYTHING in the signal chain needs to be THX certified) and have the room also certified. This is serious cash for sure.

12. Matt Rohr

Matt Rohr Agent

I have noticed this company also sells THX certified speakers.

www.crystalaudiovideo.com

They look nice and seem really low in price. Looks like another made in China product for a low price. If they sound good....why not?

13. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I think the better question is who cares anymore...

14. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

People who have the money to blow on it and want the 'bragging rights'.

15. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

THX-certified home theater speakers, particularly the front speakers, DO have special design specifications, specs that audibly alter the sound and improve movie soundtracks. Music though can be affected in subtle ways not always desirable to certain audiophiles & music purists.

This article includes discussions about how THX processing electronics and THX speakers work with each other.

That being said, I don't know why THX is allowing their name to be slapped on so much gear nowadays. Well actually, my theory is that their marketing department rather than the engineers decided to do this - bummer.

16. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Oh my, I could easily write a long post about "why not?", but forums rules prevent me from doing so.

17. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

There is a difference between alteration and improvements. Revel engineers made some interesting observations in pointing out that some unacceptable negative sacrifices are sometimes made to achieve the narrow vertical dispersion mandated by THX. I think there are superior ways to handle this in more idealized setting than the fairly simplistic basis of the THX specs, such as acoustical treatments.

18. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I love how people chime in about computer speakers being THX certified, so THX must not mean anything. Hello? That is an entirely different category! There's certification for computer speakers, then there's home theater, which for speakers is either "Select" or "Ultra2."

I don't think anyone on this forum would confuse the performance between THX Ultra2 speakers and some Logitech computer setup. The article that LanceJ posted is an excellent one to get an idea of what's involved.

As far as licensing, that is confidential, so unless you are a manufacturer, we can only guess as to how much it costs.

19. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

theres also the fact that Creative owns THX...

20. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Yeah - Select and Ultra2. Tell me THAT wasn't dreamed up by the marketing department...