What's new

THX certified DVD player for less (1 Viewer)

Joan_H

Grip
Hello there

Right now I'm building my THX certified Home theater

For the DVD player I wanted to buy an unit that is:

- THX certified
- DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD player
- Progresive scan
- MP3 player
- Capable of play CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW
- DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM recordable
- Plays DVD for al regions

As far as I know an unit with this specifications will cost at least U$ 1,500.00, maybe a lot more.

I'm also in need to buy a new PC for working, that's why I thought I can use my old PC as DVD player, here are the specs of my PC.

- The 3 years old but still good Asus P4T-E motherboard.

- Pentium 4 2.5 GHZ

- 512 MB of ram

- 120 GB of hard drive which allow me to to store a complete FM station as mp3 and then play it when I want
;).

- Ati All in wonder radeon 9000 pro which is capable of playing HDTV resolutions and give me the progresive scan option, also this card can be used as an TV turner which also allows me to record any TV program.

- Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS which is THX certified and plays Dolby Digital and DTS.

- Sony DVD-recordable/rewritable/RAM unit, which allows me to burn any CD or DVD unit.

- Windows XP pro as OS

- Intervideo WinDVD software to play the DVDs which is by the way the software that THX recomended to DELL to use with their THX certified PCs.

My point is that the cost of the DVD unit I can use it to buy a new PC and use my actual equipment which has of course more features than any DVD unit, it will cost aprox. U$ 700.00 and gives me the option for future software or hardware upgrades and as far as I know there is no way that any THX certifed DVD player has better electronic components and processors.

Any opinions or comments about this would be great.

See ya

Joan_H

Grip
Looks like nobody agrees with my theory :D or perphaps this is the wrong forum area for this thread

Joan_H

Grip
Well I know that a company in order to get the THX certification must pay to THX company, which means that some DVD players are as good as any THX certified player but the don't have the certification because of this, but they're expensive too.

I want a THX certifed DVD player because I invested a lot of money in THX certified receivers, speakers and cables.

MikeWh

Second Unit

Probably more the latter.... although maybe we're just not sure what your theory is. :D

I'm sure there are people interested in THX-certified DVD players. That's why Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer, and Denon get the certification-- it's more about marketing IMHO. If you're asking would an HTPC be a better use of your money, then I'd say only you can tell. It appears that THX certification is very important to you. I believe many people here don't necessarily care about it though (i.e,-- "If it sounds good to me, then who really cares??"). Also, I'm sure there are quite a few people here, who pull their hair out when they hear "THX-certified cables."

Do some serious reading on the HTPC and sources forums, then start asking for their opinions... Hopefully, you'll get plenty of answers there.

HTF HTPC forum:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...?s=&forumid=13
HTF sources forum:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...?s=&forumid=71

AVS HTPC forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=26
AVS DVD Players forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=18

Joan_H

Grip
My point is why expend so much money in a DVD player when you can use an old PC to get the best player in the world :D .

The opinion I meant is what you people think about using the old PC as the dvd player of your HT and why not as your preamp.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
They're quality cables I will say that much. They are not overpriced either IMHO. Their Optical cable was cheaper than Rat Shack's optical.

I personally wouldn't get too caught up in THX. Chances are if you read Hometheaterhifi's testing for dvd players, the THX rated ones are not very highly ranked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks