What's new

THX Certification (1 Viewer)

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
How important is THX certification in a receiver? I know that it's a standard that George Lucas's Lucasfilm Company has set for sound and all that, but I don't understand why certain receivers have it and others don't.

My research on these forums has given me a pretty good idea on what brands of receivers are better than others, yet when I go out into the real world and look at what's available and what has THX certification, it baffles me.

For example, some of the brands that are highly recommended for good sound on these forums are Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Sony (ES line only), Harmon Kardon, etc.) I hear alot of good things about all of those, yet when it come to having THX, only their top of the line receivers, costing near $1,000 and up, have it. And some of them don't have anything with THX. Yet you can buy a few hundred dollar Kenwood with THX, which I don't hear much about on these forums. I mean, it comes up, but not as often as the others. What's up with that? Is the $400 Kenwood going to sound as good as a $1,000 Onkyo? If not, then isn't this whole THX Certification stuff a bunch of bologna? Does the Kenwood cut corners in some areas in order to meet certification? Do the other brands build solid receivers without cutting corners and only go for certification once all other features have been exhausted? Does George Lucas have a cousin working at Kenwood stamping all their receivers with the THX logo?

Not trying to rip THX certification or anything, just want to understand it all. Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just really curious.

John S

Senior HTF Member
It is very expensive for a manufacture to get one of their products certified. I certainly wouldn't worry about it to much. There are uncertified products that can dust certified products out there. But top of the line recievers are just that and cost closer to the $2k mark certified or not.

I think the $640 6ave 3803 would satisfy my needs as compared to the slightly overkill $1700 THX certified 4802 I went with. I just have a large room, and was paranoid somewhat about it sustaining reference type levels.

Having lots of headroom is never a bad thing, but man did that purchase put a hurt'n on my wallet...lol

Shawn_E

Grip
I have the Kenwood VR6070. I think it's a great reciever for the money. If you do a search you will see others think so as well. I've always been a fan of Kenwood though, so I guess I'm bias :)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Shawn_E unlike some, I think it is really cool that we all kind of settle in on who's sound and equipment we prefer.

And even cooler that we have so many manufactures to chose from so we can all get the sound we want.

Signed,
A die hard Denon fan

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is a difference between THX SELECT, which the Kenwood is, and full blown THX cert. To me, this means it has the processing, but the amps do not meet the spec. Even most $1K THX receivers are select only. My Marantz SR8300 is select, and in reality, I don't like the effect and don't use it.

John S

Senior HTF Member
John Garcia, you never use EX post processing?
Even if the DVD clearly states EX?

Are you 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1? I could maybe see that with a 5.1 system.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

Select - rooms UNDER 2,000 cu. ft.
Ultra - better than Select.

THX Link:

BTW, I have no interest in owning THX gear, I just want to get the facts strait.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1? I could maybe see that with a 5.1 system.
5.1. Formerly using a 6.1 setup, but after moving, I can't do this any longer.

I've read the specs, and it applies primarilly to processing when talking about receivers. That does not mean the amp sections meet the same specs as a THX cert separate amp, which are required to play at a x SPL (ref) for x time without distortion.

My room is quite a bit larger than 2000CF (~4000+)

V JACKSON

Agent
Jason,
THX certifiacation really has nothing to do with whether or not the various manufacturers cut corners in terms of power, features,component quality, etc. THX certification requires the same standards of qualification of any component that is to be considered THX certified. The difference comes between the level of certification for a products price point. The three levels being THX Select, THX Ultra, and THX Ultra2. For example a THX select product meets the basic set of criteria for being THX certified, basically which is Timbre matching, re-qualization, decorralation for the surround channels, room size/decible level output, etc. THX Ultra has all these and adds THX Surround EX and better bass management,etc, while THX Ultra2 has all the previous plus other added enhancements that qualify the receiver for Ultra2 certification. No, a product does not have to be THX certified to perform just as good or better than one that is in a given price point. I suggest you try and do some A/B comparisons or listen to a DVD with and without THX processing applied and see if the difference is worth it to you. You can also go to the THX website for a more detailed explanation of THX certification. Hope this helped you.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I've got an Elite 49TXi that is Ultra 2, and in my opinion, it's worse than straight Dolby/DTS. It seems to dull down the sound and take some of the kick out of it. I guess it's fine for those who prefer things more equalized, but I rarely find myself using it.

David Judah

Screenwriter
It seems to dull down the sound and take some of the kick out of it
That's the Re-EQ, which attenuates the treble. It used to be a real useful feature, but most discs are Re-Eq'ed in the studio for home release.

I have a receiver now that is THX Select certified, but I rarely engage its post-processing. There's really little need for it with the digital formats, but it was more beneficial with Pro-Logic, IMO.

One feature I do like is the Bass Peak Limiter, which lets you set the maximum output for the sub. It's good for finding the level where the sub starts to distort and allowing you to back it off a few notches from there.

DJ

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys. V Jackson, your explanation was most helpful. I'm not planning on buying a receiver with THX any time soon since I'm loyal to Yamaha and the one's with THX are out of my league, but I was just curious about the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks