What's new

THX Center Channel (1 Viewer)

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
I've got the Yamaha 1400 receiver and playing with the sound modes; what does THX processing do to the center channel? Does it bump it up a couple of Db's? To my (over 40) ears, it seems to make it clearer a bit. Running Klipsch all around (except for my SVS sub).

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I think it should bump it a little as well as making it less
"bright". I just got the 1400 myself but I haven't had
time to do some advanced listening tests yet...

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
No sure it does anything.

On my old school Marantz receiver (Pro Logic), it would engage a slight high frequency roll off to deal with overly bright soundtracks.

It also would apply some EQ to try to timbre match the fronts to the surrounds, and lastly, it would apply processing (decorrelation) to the rears to make them seem to be stereo when they were actually mono.

In the DD realm, I think it does the first two, but the 3rd would only be needed if you had mono surround channels. I think I read that it would detect when the surround channels were mono, and only apply the decorrelation processing on mono signals.

Perhaps the newer implementation does apply some EQ to the center for enhanced clarity. FWIW, the Lucasfilm web site has a lot of stuff related to THX. You might take a look.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks