What's new

Thx 1138 (1 Viewer)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
For those of you that have seen this film I don't have to tell you what an incredible movie it is.

I first saw this film about four years ago, but shortly after seeing it I couldn't remember its name and therefore was unable to view it again. Then about three weeks ago I was up late one night channel surfing and recognized its title on Starz I beleive. I stayed up and watched the whole thing. Being a SciFi buff I really enjoy this movie, and so I was wondering if they are any other fans of this movie here?

Does anyone know if their are any plans of a DVD release soon?

Greg

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am a fan of science fiction but I have to admit I have always found THX1138 to be incredibly boring, maybe the monochromatic color scheme has something to do with it.

On second thought....I don't think so. The story is just very boring.....at least to me.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I still consider this to be Lucas's best film. I really hope this gets royal treatment on DVD!

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I haven't seen this movie in a while, but I do remember one thing... that I didn't like it. I'm a huge fan of Lucas, but this being his first film and all... still lamed me out. But, I do think it's cool that he pays homage to his first film via THX.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The TV print (which substitutes the Things to Come clip with a battered Flash Gordon clip in sepiatone) looks horrid!

First, it's P&S (every shot looks horrible), it's very grainy, and the first reel is full of dirt, specks, and scratches.

It's kind of boring in the story field, but the visuals are excellent!

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I thought the movie was interesting and philosophical. I wish Lucas had done more work in this vein.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Brad ...

THX as it stands nowadays is short for Thomlison Holmann EXperiment ... It really has nothing to do with the title of the movie.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Most people complain that George Lucas doesn't make "dark" movies. Well, here is a great one. ;)
A lot of people find it boring because it simply is not a crowd pleaser and doesn't have riveting action sequences. The film is more a futuristic film and done in Orwellian-fashion THX-1138 is a great science fiction film.
No doubt I like Star Wars better, but I love films like this and would place it in similar category with films such as Gattaca, Blade Runner and Dark City.
I would have preferred that Lucasfilm released the DVD of THX-1138 instead of Willow but I'm hopeful I can get this on DVD in the near future and retire my letterboxed laserdisc.

James D S

Screenwriter
THX as it stands nowadays is short for Thomlison Holmann EXperiment
That's never been agreed upon by Lucas. Lucas and his use of "THX" goes back much further than his association with Holmann. And Lucas is fond of making references to his first movie (a la American Grafitti), so the precedent is there.
I've also found THX 1138 to be a bit boring. Although, I would like a special edition of the flick on DVD.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
>That's never been agreed upon by Lucas. Lucas and his

>use of "THX" goes back much further than his association >with Holmann. And Lucas is fond of making references to

>his first movie (a la American Grafitti), so the

>precedent is there.

I've heard many times that THX-1138 was GLs old phone number. If so, the change to the 'Holman' reference might be to reduce the number of prank calls.

OTOH, I think the reference in American Graffiti was THX-138 (on a license plate), so there goes the phone number theory.

nick scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks