What's new

THX-1138 SE in the works (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
TheForce.net has reported that Lowry Digital, the group that did the digital clean-up on the recent Indiana Jones DVD set, is now at work on a digital clean-up of George Lucas' first directorial effort, THX-1138. Nothing much beyond that was mentioned, but it looks like we'll get to see Lucas' first film on DVD very soon!

I know I wouldn't mind seeing it. I've caught tiny bits and pieces on TV at times, but never in its entirety. For that matter, if and when it comes to DVD, they should also include Lucas' short student film of the same name as one of the extras.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
So that's why the earlier announced THX DVD was indefinitely delayed. Hopefully there will be a Lucas commentary track.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Was it delayed? I thought Warner just barely mentioned it as "coming in 2004" in their most recent chat?

Or was it slated to be released a few years ago or something?

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I love this film, and the score/soundscape by Lalo Schifrin and Walter Murch.

And remember, be thankful for your occupation, be Happy, and CONSUME....

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Hopefully this will be as good, if not better than Once upon a time in the west, as both films were shot in the same, strange widescreen format (split a frame in two to save money).

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I hear that in this revised version 1138 will shoot first
NOt to encourage you, but hahahah ;) . You do know you just opened a can of worms don't you...

On a subject related note:

I've never seen this movie, though I know all about it. Looking forward to this coming out so I can check it, um, out.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully this will be as good, if not better than Once upon a time in the west, as both films were shot in the same, strange widescreen format (split a frame in two to save money).
It's called Technoscope. Alot of Italian films used this process for scope films. Lucas also used Technoscope for American Grafitti.

Considering how well the Indy films turned out, THX-1138 should be a treat.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt the long-sought 2.5 hour cut exists at this point, but any deleted scenes they can scrounge up would be almost as cool as the ones on Casablanca.

I'll just be happy to have a restored, anamorphic widescreen version.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Warner UK announced that the Region 2 version DVD would appear in June 2004 (this according to a post earlier today), so at least we now have some sort of target date in view at this point. As for the Region 1 version, it could be before or after then.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I heard Lucas was never really happy with his original version and can't wait to give us his "true vision" on the eventual DVD...

All the effects have been cleaned up and/or repaced with digital computer-generated effects to give the movie a more artifical, cartoon-like look similar to his latest theatrical masterpieces. The new digital 1138 character is as photo-realistic as jarjar now! :D

p.s. I'm *ultra* excited about this SE!! :emoji_thumbsup:

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Looking forward to this, I had seen it a long time ago, strange movie. The original short is already available on disk, it was the first Lucas directed piece to be on DVD. It appeared on Short 10: Chaos, released back in 2000. Not sure if it's still available....
See #84 in my collection link below...

Alvin.G.

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I heard Lucas was never really happy with his original version and can't wait to give us his "true vision" on the eventual DVD...
:rolleyes:what else it new? That being said, I am looking forward to seeing this, even if GL thinks its a piece of crap.

acg

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
All the effects have been cleaned up and/or repaced with digital computer-generated effects to give the movie a more artifical, cartoon-like look similar to his latest theatrical masterpieces. The new digital 1138 character is as photo-realistic as jarjar now!
Please tell me your kidding. I was hoping to get an original unmolested SE version.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I still strongly feel that THX-1138 is Lucas's best film ever. I'm very much looking forward to this DVD!

I wonder if he'll replace those gross little midget people who attack THX near the end with Ewoks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrossAtlantic
Recent bookmarks