THX--1138 on-screen in Select Cities

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Haggai, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Haggai

Haggai Producer

It's opening on Friday at the AFI Silver theater in Silver Spring. Apparently this is the "Exclusive Washington Area Theatrical Digital Re-Release!", according to their website. I've never seen it, so I'm definitely going to try to go this weekend. Any other DC area HTFers want to make a group effort out of it? If anyone else is interested, my initial suggestion is to catch the 5:15 show this Saturday, and then grab dinner around there. Lots of restaurants right by the theater in downtown Silver Spring. They haven't updated their Now Playing calender yet on the website, so to check the showtimes, click on "buy tickets" at the link above (it gives you the showtimes first, you don't have to buy anything to see when it's playing).

Bill Hunt's review of the new SE is excellent. I hope I enjoy the movie, this looks like a helluva DVD release.

2. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Bumping this back up.

Any interest out there? Anyone? Bueller?

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It's getting a release here in Boston, too - of course, probably only for a week and it also happens to be the same week as the Boston Film Festival and The Leopard playing at the Brattle. I just may not see home until next Sunday.

4. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

being released today in dallas&plano tx. Magnolia Theater in Digital...

my brother sent me an email that says if you see it this weekend you will get a collectible THX 1138 poster.
    more details about the release at
    www.thx1138movie.com

5. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Opens today at Seattle's mighty C I N E R A M A theater and I could not be more pleased. [​IMG]

EDIT: According to the movie's website, those attending on opening weekend will receive a free poster.

6. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Just got back from this tonight, and I thought it was great. Tremendous atmospheric stuff, I was totally gripped by almost all the details of the world where it was happening. I thought it was sort of like Kafka and Orwell thrown into Brave New World. I'm definitely psyched for the DVD release next week, after reading Bill Hunt's glowing review at the Digital Bits.

I'll spoilerize this for now, since I don't know if this'll become the official discussion thread, or if there's even going to be one. One thing I'm wondering about is the ending:

Did Lucas just sort of write himself into a corner? I didn't know what to expect at the end, and I don't know how I would have done it, but THX gets out and...that's it? That's the ending? It didn't seem to fit the rest of the movie all that well.

One thing I did like about the ending is that (unless I totally misunderstood what happened) they called off the search for THX right as he's about to escape because...it went over budget! A metaphor for the neophyte Lucas' coming struggles with the studios, especially over this movie? Heh.

7. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Haggai wrote:
    Did Lucas just sort of write himself into a corner? I didn't know what to expect at the end, and I don't know how I would have done it, but THX gets out and...that's it? That's the ending? It didn't seem to fit the rest of the movie all that well.

One thing I did like about the ending is that (unless I totally misunderstood what happened) they called off the search for THX right as he's about to escape because...it went over budget! A metaphor for the neophyte Lucas' coming struggles with the studios, especially over this movie? Heh.

The ending is intentionally ambiguous. Sure, THX gained his freedom, but what's on the surface? Can he even breathe the air up there? Was the controlled environment there for a valid reason THX will now discover? Was the cop telling him the truth or lying when he said he wouldn't survive on the surface? It's a great sc-fi ending - show where the character is heading and his motive for doing so, but withhold the answers to what happens once he achieves his goal.

And, yeah, that's a pretty straight up reference to Lucas' studio frustrations.

Can't wait for the DVD this Tuesday! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

This is the first I've ever heard about this movie.
    I read Bill Hunts' review & will definitely be picking it up on Tuesday.

9. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

10. Nick C.

Nick C. Second Unit

Just curious, what is the significance of the release date/year? Is it a special anniversary? 23 years is a bit odd when compared to a nice round 10 for SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION The cynic in me wants to know Lucas isn't just hoping to cash in, once again [​IMG]

11. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer

Nick,

This movie deserves to "cash in."

If Lucas is attempting to take some of the media attention he is getting for Star Was DVD release and bouncing a little bit of that light on THX-1138, then I am all for it.