What's new

THUNDERBEAN ANIMATION's DVDs, any reviews? (1 Viewer)

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
From what I understand, Thunderbean has put a lot of work into these DVDs (A Complete Cubby Bear DVD, A Popeye DVD and a Felix & Others DVD). A Fourth DVD called Attack of the 30s Characters (or something to that effect) is coming soon. HOWEVER, all these DVDs are actually DVD-Rs thus far.

I read in one of the Animation Forums that the company is looking into having a distributor/production company help with an "official" release for these DVDs (meaning NO DVD-Rs anymore) and buying an ISBN number so they can actually release these through Amazon and other Online stores (instead of eBay). But that was a few weeks ago so who knows what's changed since then.

The DVD-Rs have been getting Great Reviews (there's a review for the Cubby Bear DVD-R on DVDToons.com) but the owner has said that if there is an "official" release for these DVDs, he was going to go back and work out some of the "kinks" with the current releases (sound, menu, etc). In the last Animation Thread I read, he even said he was debating working out a sync issue on the Popeye DVD-R.

Do a search on the Animation Show Forums (http://www.animationshow.com/forums/index.php) for Thunderbean. Here's a Thread from one of those Forums (http://www.animationshow.com/forums/...=ST&f=8&t=1335).

I'm seriously debating the Cubby Bear DVD-R....

Andrew

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I have the Cubby Bear DVD and it is worth it. while I was hesitant to purchase this before an actual DVD release of these that can be purchased at any retail store, I think Thunderbean needs the support right now to get that moving and the product is very rewarding. Think of this as a preview of greater things to come. If they can get their feet on the ground we will be seeing a great number of professionally restored animated gems get the restorations they deserve. I hear the Popeye disc has the best available versions of PD Popeye around and the bonuses are a treat. the Felix, I hear is the worse, less restoration effort and less hunting for the best possible prints but still a nice. The Felix DVD is selling for less due to this reason. The Cubby Bear DVD is the real special here though as a collection of these shorts on DVD has not happen and is shocking and satisfying that someone has went to the trouble of hunting these down, collecting them, restoring them and releasing them in a complete set.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Even if they put some good effort into the DVD's, the Popeye DVD's will be blown away by whatever Warner releases in the next few years.

Warner is actually restoring the Popeye cartoons from the negatives (Wotta Nitemare and Popeye Meets Sindbad are beautiful restorations, from what I've read). Also, only the Warner versions would have original titles.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
I picked up the Cubby DVD last week and the thing won't run in my player. Its funny because all the DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs I burn myself run fine. I think I'll wait for the offical pressed discs before I pick up anymore titles. Thanks for the info guys.

Does anyone know what kinks he is talking about?

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio

There are a few "kinks" here and there but one that stands out (which the owner said he might tweek this weekend!) is a small sync issue on Popeye Meets Ali Baba.

Still debating on the Complete Cubby Bear. I keep telling mysef to wait for a non-DVD-R edition later down the road.

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks