Thunderball audio problem???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Osato, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Osato

Osato Producer

Hello - I noticed during the underwater battle scene near the end of this film, that the audio seems to switch from stereo to mono.
    Has anyone else noticed this? An oversight possibly?

I would think it would be corrected when the new remastered audio versions come out in a year or two.

Thanks for posting!

2. Clint

Clint Stunt Coordinator

I have this movie, could you specify the actual time display when this happens so I can verify.

3. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Keep in mind that Thunderball was originally a mono film. Maybe the music for that part of the underwater sequence was not found with the rest of the stereo music elements.

I really just wish the film was available with the original mix. That's why I'll never get rid of the original widescreen LD.

Neil

4. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

There is word that the next re-release of all the Bond movies will include brand new 5.1 remixes (from Mi Casa Studios) for at least the classic Bonds. Perhaps they found the right sound elements to do the job this time.

Along with this news, I've read rumors that MGM will finally do some kind of "restoration" effort on the older Bonds. If true, it's about time!

Just don't look for any of this on the upcoming re-releases (again, more of the same SE's as before at a lower price). MGM wants us to triple dip, obviously!

Dan

5. Osato

Osato Producer

It's near the end of the film. The last underwater battle scene. During the fighting the music switches from stereo to mono. I only caught it the last time I watched the film. I don't have the specific time on the disc. I will try and find it though.

6. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

7. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk
    Nobody has ever figured out why there are subtle differences to the Thunderball mixes out there, but I absolutely hate hearing the Bond theme play at the end of the movie and not the music that Barry composed for it.

And yes I know. I've seen the movie twice in the theater (so far) and it's had the same dialogue as the current 5.1 mix. But I really think, "Sorry old chap, better luck next time" is not as good as the "one that got away" line. But lets just say that except for a handful of alternate lines and that one bit of original music, the LD still presents 98.9% of the original mono mix. And as I've said, nobody knows which mix is definitive. I do prefer the mono track on the LD though.

Neil

8. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    Neil,

You may be referencing this. I'm not sure so I'll say it anyway.

Do you have that double CD set of Bond music? It came out about 10 years ago. Anyway, one of the tracks is called Thunderball suite and it has all of the score that didn't make it on to the Thunderball soundtrack. Anyway, at the very end is the mucical cue that John Barry wrote for the part when Bond and Domino get hoisted up by the airplane (I've always wondered, just how are they supposed to get down from there?). It's much better than the same old Bond theme used in the movie.

And count me in for liking "the one that got away" line better than "better luck next time". No contest.

-Reagan

9. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk
    Reagan, yes I have the old "Thunderball Suite" as well as the new Thunderball CD, which presents all of the cues from the original album and that suite, as well as some other cues, all re-mastered.

If you want to read more about the new Bond albums and the re-sequencing that I did for most of them, go here.

Neil

10. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    Neil,

I had a feeling that you may be operating on a level way above me. Since you're in the know, is there anything to be gained from buying the new version of the Thunderball soundtrack given that I already have the original version plus the double CD set that includes Thunderball suite?

Thanks,
    -Reagan

11. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

12. Osato

Osato Producer

I believe the time is 1:59:34 to 1:59:39. Chapter 46 on the Thunderball DVD.
    Let me know if you have any information on this. Thank you!!

13. Osato

Osato Producer

Oh. The Thunderball soundtrack and all of the new James Bond remasters sound phenominal!!! Highly Recommended!!!

14. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk
    The new Thunderball album is absolutely worth buying. All of the Bond albums came out at ridiculously cheap prices, and the 5 expanded scores (Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Diamonds are Forever and Live and Let Die) really have excellent sound. I'm really impressed with the quality of the recording for You Only Live Twice.

Neil

15. Osato

Osato Producer

Any ideas on the Thunderball DVD sound issues?

Also, I did enjoy the soundtrack cd's a LOT!! However I was dissapointed that the Roger Moore films were not expanded more. I understand no music was located for Moonraker. Was this the case with the others? Did time and money run out for the project?

There are some beautiful cues from A View To A Kill that I would really like to have on cd.

16. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk
    My theory is that section just couldn't be located in stereo at the time of the re-mix. Just a theory that happens to fit the facts.

I just listened to to the mono LD track, and really prefer it to the new mix. Another thought occured to me as I was listening to the mono end titles. You can hear an edit in Barry's end titles, and that makes sense as there is an obvious edit in the end titles. This is the only Bond film (other than the first, Dr. No) to not say "James Bond will Return", yet you can see where that was to occur in the end titles. However, when you listen to the end titles on the DVD, the visual edit is still there, yet the Bond theme stays totally in sync. That means the Bond theme could not have been used there originally.

Neil

17. Osato

Osato Producer

I'm sure the audio will be corrected with the new versions which will come out in a few years. I wonder if extras will be added for these new versions. I would enjoy seeing more deleted scenes, as well as expanded documentaries. The documentaries were so good for the films Dr.No - License to Kill.

I have always wondered about the end of the film and the two different music tracks used at the end. One for the UK and one for the US??

18. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams

19. Osato

Osato Producer

Thanks Jason!
    I thought the Moonraker masters were lost? Didn't know Octopussy was as well?
    I noticed all the Connery's were expanded, except the first two as no masters existed apparently. I figured money and the fact that the latter ones were Roger Moore films led to the decision not to include extra music.
    I would think by the time Moonraker was around, a great deal of care would be made to save / archive anything James Bond?

Another excellent que from AVTAK is during the horse race with Zorin. Awesome.
    I noticed a Thunderball theme later in the film as well. It occurs when Bond is fighting of Zorin's thugs at Stacy Suttons mansion. A brief que from Thunderball can be heard during the fighting.

If anyone from EMI / Capitol is reading this. Thank you for the wonderful remasters! I think they are great and I bought every one.
    I would love for the rest of the films soundtracks to be released with expanded scores! Especially the Roger Moore films!!
    Thanks!