Thunder & Lighting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenny Booth, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Kenny Booth

Kenny Booth Stunt Coordinator

Anyone had an experence with Lighting damage to their electronics. I had a direct hit that knocked out half the breakers in the elec. panel and all the ground fault switches. The TV and the AVR are both dead.
    My question is can these be fixed properly or am I asking for headaches down the road. I have insurance but it will only pay for a "fix or replace" Any "down the roads" will be my problem.

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

If you can do the "replace" without cranking up your premiums, then just do it and forget about it.

3. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

I would definitely replace and fix only if forced to. If forced to repair, only use the Manufacturer's authorized repair center. Any authorized repair should carry a warranty.

4. Kenny Booth

Yea, "repair warranty" is where these repair shops start backing up

5. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

I just had the same problem. It got my avr-1082 I was told that lightning strikes can put a strain on parts that may not be evident for months. My technician said he felt that if it was repaired it would be unreliable so now Im expecting a check from my home owners to replace. Good luck

6. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Chances opf another direct lightning strike are what? astronomical? But the horse is out of the barn now, so might as well look ahead. Lightning fields NEAR the house may be as damaging as direct strikes.

Talk to your electrical contractor who will be fixing the service panel about also installing a Whole House Surge Protector. Cost should be in the $200 range. Also call your power utility company first for advice on installing a "whole house," they may have a plan for customers.

Whole house does not replace the need for point-of-service surge protectors on your AV system inside the house. To forestall those pesky electrical surges and spikes it is necessary that ALL coax cables (SAT and cableTV) as well as any fone lines associated with SAT boxes be run thru surge protectors to prevent back-door surges.

8. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    See my thread here. I'm going through the same thing, and am concerned that if they try to repair my receiver, it wont work down the road, but if the repair shop doing the estimate (for the surge protector company.. they have a warranty against damage) is as good as the store I originally bought from, I'm not too worried. They'll either fix it right, or say they cant.
    Also, lightening is the least of your worries. I have lost countless pieces of electronics due to power surges that were totally unrelated to lightening. Many times, its just due to power surging when it comes back on after an outage. I intend to buy a much better surge protector such as a Panamax after I get this all straightened out.

9. Kenny Booth

I have a surge protector but I'm not sure that any surge protector will protect against lightNing.

10. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

11. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Kenny,

I went through this about two summers ago, I lost it all.

I don't know about your policy and policies do differ. However with me I had used the same insurance carrier for many years.

First I documented what happened and met with my agent. Then they said to take one(1) item to a repair shop to see if it had indeed been struck by lightning. After that was confirmed I had several options. 1) repair (or get a statement from repair service that it would not be worth it, I paid him an additional $50.00 for this as I was cutting him out of a big repair job.) 2) Take a "depreciation" check and get what you can. 3) replace all items and they will reimburse but that is alot of money out-of-pocket at one time.

Of course you will have a deductable. If the insurance company wants to fight you, stick by your guns and do not sign anything releasing them from their responsibility if something goes bad later....they can keep a file open or note it on the claim to be covered in the future for related defects. Also if your house burned down 1 month after the settled claim due to weakened wires in the wall from the lightning strike the claim would handle that anyway.

They always sem to want to close the file and will rather buy new to do so unless they are heavily bonused.

Good Luck

P.S. I made the mistake of purchasing replacement products that were inferior to what I had(cost less way back in the day). I tried to do a dollars-for-dollars replacement and I have, out of my pocket, replaced everything they replaced.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

My Sony STR-V444ES was fried in a lightning storm recently. It now goes into PROTECTOR mode. A local repair shop cannot fix it, so they are going to take it to a Sony repair center. I already have ideas for what to replace it with. The leading contenders are the Sony STR-DA3ES and 'DA5ES, as well as the Denon AVR-3802.

13. James_P_Clark

I know what you are going through. Sunday our house took a hit and the random bolt from Zeuss took out the AC, both garage door openers, the Denon 3300, every TV is either dead or has something bizarre going on now, two phones, the alarm (since replaced so thiefs can move along), the dryer, and probably a few things we haven't discovered yet. Sadly surge protectors are only for surges, not lightning hits.

Most everything is in the repair shop awaiting a verdict. Repair or replace. Personally, I'm hoping some stuff can be repaired as I know that if forced to replace I'm going to be sorely tempted to move up in the world and this could end up costing a fortune.

Good luck to you.

jc

14. LorenzoD

LorenzoD Agent

Y'all should think about installing a lightning rod on or near your house...

[knock on wood]
    Lighting's never even come close to striking my house!
    [/knock on wood]

15. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    This might be a dumb question but does lightning zap basement equipment as well? The only reason I ask is because I know that lightning falls to ground and a basement is below ground level. Would the lightning charge still fry your gear below ground level? My guess is that basement equipemtn gets zapped anyway, but there's a bit of doubt in me....

- Mike

16. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Mike, I dont think it matters where your equipment is, the surge created by a lightening strike at the house, goes through the power lines. If its plugged in, its toast.

17. Ryan Lantzy

Ryan Lantzy Auditioning

I know this is a little late, but next time find a surge protector with "Lightning protection." This is an oxymoron, and I know, you can't be completely protected from it. However, with the surge protectors that have it they have an equipment replacement guarantee usually around $15000 to 25000.

I used to work at a computer shop. Every summer when the storms would roll though, I could count on a hundred calls the next day with broken modems and power supplies in computers. Luckily, our shop sells these surge protectors with our computers that have the Lightning warranty. Everytime we had a big failure that we couldn't eat under our warranty, i.e. a whole computer and monitor fried, we just called up this surge protector manufacturer's warranty department. They never hassled us about it. They would just ask for an estimate of damage from us and they would send a check to the owner.

Here's the caveat, you need to send in the warranty card with the strip or they won't even acknowledge you exist when you need them. :) Just send it in, and save copies of the paperwork.

I think the maker of the protectors was Belkin...