What's new

Thundarr the Barbarian (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I have this sudden urge to watch that early 80's cartoon Thundarr the Barbarian but of course it's not on dvd yet. Any news on when/if it'll be released?

Joe:C

Second Unit
This is a Warner Brothers show. I haven't heard about a release, but I'd like to see this on dvd.

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in on this one. This was one of the best Saturday morning shows. A "complete collection" seems like a no-brainer. Little bit fantasy little bit sci-fi and all-action!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I wish I had Boomerang again. They used to play this Sunday afternoon's. I'm game for a release is Warner is.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
I don't think I've seen it on Boomerang since '04. But I'd definitely love to have this, especially since we have Blackstar and now D&D coming out this Tuesday. I loved '80's cartoons with magical weapons and fantasy settings.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I only vaugly remembered the show from when I was a kid - until a couple of months ago, where I got ahold of some of the old tapes of the series off eBay. (You know - large black things that you put into a special machine. Like DVD, but not as shiny).

I was really impressed with the show. It holds up very well, and I like the Kirby-ish influence on the show. And I had to laugh - Thundarr cant say a line WITHOUT YELLING IT! LORDS OF LIGHT!

It's like watching an animated Brian Blessed.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Jack Kirby designed a lot of what appeared on the show. He even drew up some Thundarr comics for a proposed newspaper strip that never happened, unfortunately.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
In my opinion, there is a decent enough fanbase for Warner to profit from a dvd release. Just a matter of them to realize this sooner or later, to announce a dvd release. Cant remember, was this 1 season it lasted or more ?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Heh, yeah, and I like his old 70's hair. My brother and I had hair like that back then :)

IIRC, the main reason the show was cancelled was that it was actually considered "too adult" for the kiddies it supposedly aimed at. Too violent and all that. But I found that it holds up well because the characters inhabit such a rich setting and it lacks the preachiness of most cartoons of that era.

And yeah, there was quite a bit of talent behind it, at least if you're familiar with the comic industry: The heroes were designed by Alex Toth, Jack Kirby did the rest of the art design, Steve Gerber created the show, and Mark Evanier was the story editor. I think Doug Wildey may have had some involvement, too.

David Levine

Supporting Actor
2 seasons, but only 21 episodes - 13 in the first, 8 in the second.

I wish we could get our hands on this one...

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Maybe, this pic will remind people.

I remember as a kid thinking the show was a bit like the TSR game "Gamma World".

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
If Warner ever does release this my prediction is this, the entire series will be released on 2 double sided discs, for a retail price of 39.98.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ Long shot at best, I know, but I keep hoping BCI can somehow grab the rights to this one. As long as they keep it off double sided discs like Defenders of the Earth, that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks