"Thump" when I change inputs, etc. - ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Vinson, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Steve Vinson

Steve Vinson Auditioning

I just built a subwoofer and bought a used Bryston 4B to power it. (I'm using a Pioneer Elite 45TX receiver). Now, when I power on & off (on the receiver), change inputs and mute, I get a "thump" from my sub. This did not happen with my internally powered Paradigm sub that I had been using. All I did was switch the subwoofer cable from the Paradigm to the Bryston - I made no changes to my receiver. Can anyone help? Is this a problem with the Bryston, or is it something with my receiver, and what can I do?

Thanks,
    Steve V.

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Steve,

Do you leave your Bryston amp on all of the time, manually powering it on (before or after turning on the receiver), or are you using the Pioneer receiver to trigger it on?

Michael

Edit: Whoops! I didn't read your post very carefully when you state that you get the "thumps" when changing sources or muting the volume. If that is the case, it would seem to point to the receiver.

3. Steve Vinson

Steve Vinson Auditioning

One additional thing, before I got the sub built, I tested the Bryston on my mains, using the Pioneer's pre-outs. I got the same thing. But again, this did not happen with my powered Paradigm sub. ???

Steve V.