Thumbs up on the Marantz SR-8200!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pete Jennings, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Well, I'd have to give the SR-8200 a resounding "buy" rating. After returning a SR-7200 with all of the assorted click/pop problems, I am happy to report NONE of these issues are present on my SR-8200. Despite having to spend an extra $600 over the purchase price of the SR-7200, I am thrilled! This baby has ample power, runs cool as a cucumber, and is built like a humvee! The remote, although I will continue to use my Home Theater Master MX-500 for the forseeable future, is pretty awesome for a manufacturer supplied remote. When the programming SW becomes available for it, it will be very powerful. If I hadn't already purchased the MX-500 months ago I wouldn't spend the $ to do so now.
    I was very upset that my SR-7200 had problems, because I had gotten hooked on the "Marantz Sound" through my B&W 600 series 2 speakers (Talk about a match made in heaven, Mmmmmm.) I am happy to say, the SR-8200 very similar sounding to the SR-7200.
    I am still getting used to the unit, but have just moved the box to the attic, which is my way of saying it is a keeper (I usually leave the boxes in the garage until I make up my mind.) If you are disgusted with the other x200 units, can justify to yourself the additional $$ for the added features/power of this monster and are hooked on the Marantz sound - go for it! You won't be disappointed!
    Pete [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Sean D

Sean D Stunt Coordinator

Congrats on your purchase Pete! The 8200 looks like a very sweet receiver. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it and how much did you pay for it? I have a friend with an sr7200 who is having troubles with it and possibly looking to ditch it and get an 8200 but he is not sure of how much the price difference will be.

Thanks,

Sean

3. Pete Jennings

Sean, I bought it at a B&M for $1399. I've seen Internet prices at about $1250. It IS worth the asking price.

Pete

4. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I had heard that the other x200 receivers didn't have all of the Pro-Logic II options. Does the 8200 have all of the options to tweak?

5. Pete Jennings

Tom, the 8200 does. Setup screen 5 (PL2 Music Parameter) has adjustments for Panarama, Dimension and Center Width. Per a post by Chuck Kent in a PLII thread, there isn't supposed to be adjustments for movies.

Pete

6. RyanL

RyanL Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the post! I now have a new favorite receiver! I was looking at the 7200, but now that this is out, I know I'd never be truly happy with that receiver now that I know about this one. [​IMG]

7. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Sean,
    www.cyberteria.com has the sr8200 listed for 930.00. I have a hard time believing this price though. If i hadn't got an Onkyo 797 to replace my SR7200 i definetly would have tried out the 8200. As it stands though i am completely satisfied with my 797(unless i could get the SR9200 for a great price[​IMG])

8. Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas Stunt Coordinator

Even when converted to CDN, with tax and duty, that's an incredible price. They don't ship outside the continental US though...

9. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Congrats. Looks like a sweet receiver. Hope you continue to have good luck with it. [​IMG]
    Jon

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Drop out litmus tests for you.

If at all possible, could someone with an 8200 try this test? (Dalton, try this with your 797 too. I did and it cut off the tracks, using my Panasonic DVD player and a Toshiba DVD player).

1) Use a CD or DVD player that is connected via an optical (preferably) or a coax DIGITAL CABLE! Very important. i am testing the ability of the receivers DAC's to not cut off the signal.

2) Try one of the following CD's.

a) Depeche Mode 86-98. Try going from track to track with the cd player buttons. Tracks #1 and #3 in particular will be cut off at the beginning. Other CD's include Rush- Power Windows. Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing.

Does the SR 8200 cut off any audio???

11. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Chris PC,

I don't have any of the discs you mentioned but i will try with some of the discs i have. I have a Toshiba SD4700 dvd player connected with digital coax and a Sony 5 disc cd changer connected with optical. To my knowledge i have not had any dropouts but i haven't always paid close attention. If you have any other problem discs Chris let me know because we may hit on a disc we both have.

12. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Cool. I'll keep listening. The onyl receiver I have found which does not drop out with my DVD player is the NAD T761. The only time it cut off the audio was the first split second of audio after I turned on the DVD player for the first time and after I played a DVD where the NAD was still in DD AC3 mode. Other than that, nothing would cause the audio to get cut off. play, pause, stop, forward & back, track #, nothing made the NADT761 drop out.

I will keep checking DVD's. I honestly can't afford a receiver upgrade really. I will likely just use the analog RCA's for CD's for now until Marantz fixes the problem, I get a DVD changer or CD player that doesn't dropout with the marantz. or I find another receiver that doesn't exhibit the same problems.

13. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Hey congrats on the purchase. Great to know that the 2 new models may not have the drop out issue. I've been waiting to see how well the 8200 did, and I am even considering giving my 6200 to my dad for x-mas and picking up an 8200 (my local dealer just got them in and is having a pretty decent sale).

I was there when they opened the box of the first one they got in, and the first words out of my mouth were "Did they fix the audio drop-out issue?" hehehe. Then I said "HOOK THAT THING UP!" I'll have to check back with them.