1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Thumbs Up for MGM

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Deane Johnson, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

I can remember a few months ago when MGM made a chat appearence on this forum, and I especially remember the harsh criticism they received in the following days. Frankly, it was a bit brutal at times. But, I think some of us sensed they were listening, reading and learning what the market wanted. And best of all, I think we sensed they were going to respond. I was really sure they were paying attention when they turned the volume down on the opening logo as many of us requested.

I'm happy to say that I've been pleasently surprised at the quantity of anamorphic widescreen titles that have been released. I've now purchased a number of MGM titles I hadn't orginally planned on buying, but I ran into them on the racks or in reviews and they were indeed anamorphic. And decent anamorphic treatment of older titles too.

Today, Bill Hunt comments in Digital Bits on the good job MGM is doing getting out titles in both anamorphic and P&S formats on the same disc. He comments on both the special editions and standard releases being well done. I have to agree.

Thanks MGM. You deserve success.

Deane

2. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Deane:

Immediately following Bill's respectful statements for MGM, he announced four titles that are full frame only (though he doesn't mention this) It is currently being discussed whether this is proper AR or not, but I'd say the jury is still out on MGM.

3. Chris Kr

Chris Kr Agent

I for one am not at all happy with mgm's barebones discs. It's great that they are usually anamorphic widescreen, but that's about all. 2.0? no features? pretty sad.

4. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

I've been buying some of the catalog titles for $9.36 with an anamorphic transfer. I've got to ask the question - What do you expect for that price? I think they're doing just fine.

There will always be people who, even if buying the disc would include a personal visit from the director, would want something more. I'm happy with the basic film. Remember, they were going to dump this stuff on the market in P&S only and we talked them into anamorphic. C'mon now.

Deane

5. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Overall, I've been pretty pleased with MGM. They do great SE's when they want to and their catalog titles are almost always great quality at very nice price points(take Extremities, for example. I never would have thought a low-budget, relatively obscure 80's film would receive such a nice transfer!)
    I also appreciate the fact they don't shy away from unrated cuts on films. I am especially looking forward to their Last House On The Left SE, proof that they listened to us after initially stating it would be an R-rated version only.
    Also, I am ready for a new batch of Midnite Movies. Several titles such as Count Yorga, Vampire have even included more complete, never-before-seen prints! How can you not love that?
    If I had to bitch about anything, it would be:
    1) fix OAR issues with such titles as Moonstruck and Child's Play. MGM isn't 100% consistent with OAR and I hope they don't sink into a pan-and-scan nightmare.
    2) fix subtitles on their James Bond releases.
    3) Altered, revised(and often ugly) cover art instead of original.
    Other than that, they are still on my [​IMG] list.

6. Jeremiah W

Jeremiah W Stunt Coordinator

MGM is certainly on the Up & Up, their prices are great ,the transfers are much better than they used to be,people can complain about lack of extras but for 10 bucks I for one won't complain it the disc looks/sounds good and is in its OAR[​IMG]

7. Donald W

Donald W Stunt Coordinator

I think MGM is doing great...not every film that comes out can be a SE...and I love there Midnite Movies...MGM gets a big Thumbs Up from me

8. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

MGM is doing a great job. Even a z grade release like "Wild Orchid" is in Anamorphic widescreen and has both the R and Unrated cuts on one disc. They also RELEASE their older titles. If MGM had "3 Women" in their library they wouldn't sit on it. Instead they'd release the damn thing in so we can buy it!

9. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit