Thule rack owners & roofline adaptor

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I took off my old '97 thule roofrack system and was thinking of giving it to my sister. She can buy a fit kit for her car ('96 Honda civic 2dr hatchback). A fit kit is now $45!!! but I found out that Thule requires a Short Roofline Adaptor for it.

However, what if she doesn't plan on using any of the Thule carriers, like she already has a rear mounted bike rack? I thought she could use it for her art show displays she lugs around to various art shows. Her display folds down and it could be strapped to the roof rack on top to free up some inside space.

Anyway, the crossbar clearence (or lack thereof) should not be a problem and that would save her the $95 a adaptor costs.

Is there any other reason the civics require the Roofline adaptor besides the minimum spacing their sports carriers usually require?

jay

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I took off my old '97 thule roofrack system and was thinking of giving it to my sister. She can buy a fit kit for her car ('96 Honda civic 2dr hatchback). A fit kit is now $45!!! but I found out that Thule requires a Short Roofline Adaptor for it.

However, what if she doesn't plan on using any of the Thule carriers, like she already has a rear mounted bike rack? I thought she could use it for her art show displays she lugs around to various art shows. Her display folds down and it could be strapped to the roof rack on top to free up some inside space.

Anyway, the crossbar clearence (or lack thereof) should not be a problem and that would save her the $95 a adaptor costs.

Is there any other reason the civics require the Roofline adaptor besides the minimum spacing their sports carriers usually require?

jay

3. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

Jay,
    I have a '93 Civic Si and a Thule rack system for it, including the short roof line adaptor. I've seen people use Thule racks on similar Civics without the adaptor, so it is certainly possible. The clamp on the adaptor bar is the same as on the regular crossbar foot, so no problems there.

Your only issue might be if the display you are describing is particularly long. If this is a solid display made up of flat panels, you aren't going to want to have too much overhanging the crossbars front or back since this will catch the wind. That could result in the display getting damaged or the rack being torn off.

4. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

Jay,
    I have a '93 Civic Si and a Thule rack system for it, including the short roof line adaptor. I've seen people use Thule racks on similar Civics without the adaptor, so it is certainly possible. The clamp on the adaptor bar is the same as on the regular crossbar foot, so no problems there.

Your only issue might be if the display you are describing is particularly long. If this is a solid display made up of flat panels, you aren't going to want to have too much overhanging the crossbars front or back since this will catch the wind. That could result in the display getting damaged or the rack being torn off.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

how heavy is the display? i imagine if it's lighter then a typical bike, you should be okay without the cross-brace???

i had to use the cross-brace on my 94 2-dr accord, but i had two bikes up there and wasn't willing to take a chance. [​IMG]

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

how heavy is the display? i imagine if it's lighter then a typical bike, you should be okay without the cross-brace???

i had to use the cross-brace on my 94 2-dr accord, but i had two bikes up there and wasn't willing to take a chance. [​IMG]

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Her display is an aluminum framed thing so it is fairly flat and pretty light. She is fairly petite but she does OK when putting it up and down. I don't think it's excessively long and I think the rack would be OK without the SRA.

Jay

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Her display is an aluminum framed thing so it is fairly flat and pretty light. She is fairly petite but she does OK when putting it up and down. I don't think it's excessively long and I think the rack would be OK without the SRA.

Jay