What's new

Ths Sopranos.....overrated? (1 Viewer)

Tony Bucaci

Agent
What planet are you from Brent?

Seriously, The Sopranos is the best show on TV right now. It's a shame some people can appreciate good acting and dialogue.

I personally don't get the hype about Buffy. I bought the first season and struggled to get through it. In fact, I ended up selling it before watching the second half of the season. Oh well....

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Put me (and my wife) down with Richard in the 'like both Buffy and Tony camp. For very different reasons.

But Buffy especially seems to have run her course.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
As mentioned earlier, shows that are critically acclaimed that start to become commerical hits always face these kinds of problems: they've simply been overblown too much for their own good. It has nothing to do with The Sopranos at all, but people were just hyping it so much that expectations radically exceed actual results.

This begins when the show begins to draw critical attention, for breaking new ground and what not. The television critics are so pleased to have something refreshing and enjoyable for a change that they begin to plug the show every chance they get. A small cult following develops, with people telling one and other, "You've got to see this show!" Now you've got people watching who would normally never give it a chance, and soon they'll have their own mixed reactions.

Concerning buying such big DVD sets sight unseen, you may want to be more cautious next time around; I think The Shield is a fantastic television show and a great DVD set, but I would warn everyone from sinking $50-$60 into it sight unseen when there's a chance they may not enjoy the series at all.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Quite frankly, I think every series that HBO airs is monsterously overhyped.
That's because virtually every show or miniseries they produce is excellent, better than almost any other TV series or movie that year, and appeals to lots of people tired of same old demographics manufactured crap. Thus loads of hype. I have never seen any company or channel be so consistently damn good!

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
In my opinion the Sopranos lost their appeal when they decided to take a 1 1/2 year vacation from the public eye. It was good to have the series back, but it has never reached the quality or interest for me that it had those first two seasons. How arrogant can you get to take that much time between seasons and expect the public to still welcome you back. Bring back the quality in storylines.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
How arrogant can you get to take that much time between seasons and expect the public to still welcome you back.
I don't know about "arrogance", but the fourth season had the highest ratings ever. So by an objective measure (as opposed to one's personal reaction), the show was eagerly "welcomed back" by the public.

M.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I think the Sopranos is well done, but I am bored by it, most of the time, and the few episodes that really stuck out were marred by excessive violence (for me). When that girl was killed by Joe Pantoliano, I almost turned off the show for good.

Oz was interesting, initially, but it is very stale now. Ultimately, I think a prison doesn't work for developing characters, because the worst thing about prison is the lack of development, the daily tedium that everyone must endure. The recent season is pretty much a joke -- the mayor is sent to Oz for protection, and ends up getting killed there. It's just a ridiculous premise.

I like Six Feet Under a little better, but it seems to be slipping into the prison of its own "coolness," not allowing the characters to breath and act naturally. It still has potential, though.

I like Sex and the City a lot. It is certainly more fun to watch than any of the other programs, and the writing and performances are top notch, particularly Parker. I'm glad that this is their last season, as well, because I think it will go out on top.

I have never seen Buffy, and I don't think I'll even go there. I never saw the X-Files, either.

Modena

Stunt Coordinator
Sex and the City?

Most unrealistic show depicting the actual people of NYC:

"Is it possible that in this topsy turvy world that women and men can cathardically entrench themselves within a social structure that aims to please socially accute women who know what they want and how they want it. I mean, is love truly love? Or is love only true? Or is neither important? Or is it just that love means that love really isn't love, but something bigger? Something like Zazatrue? Or can Zazaturue become ZazaBOO? Who knows? I'm just gonna keep on living with the city that never sleeps and it's love for me. Or is that all there is? I mean, who knows anything, and what if anything is everything? Can anything be nothing at all? I guess I really am in the city that never sleeps."

Just plain awful.

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
"Is it possible that in this topsy turvy world that women and men can cathardically entrench themselves within a social structure that aims to please socially accute women who know what they want and how they want it. I mean, is love truly love? Or is love only true? Or is neither important? Or is it just that love means that love really isn't love, but something bigger? Something like Zazatrue? Or can Zazaturue become ZazaBOO? Who knows? I'm just gonna keep on living with the city that never sleeps and it's love for me. Or is that all there is? I mean, who knows anything, and what if anything is everything? Can anything be nothing at all? I guess I really am in the city that never sleeps."

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I've watched the DVD's that have been released of the Sopranos so far. As I said in my first post, I think it's a pretty good show. I just don't think it's the greatest show in the world or anything. And I would definitely agree with those who say the first season two seasons were the best. I haven't seen season 4 yet, but season 3 wasn't as good and was starting to get old (with the exception of the ep in the woods).

As for the "shock value", I do think they get carried away sometimes. Most episodes are OK, and then there will be one that's just over the top. It's one thing if it serves the story, but if you take it too far it's just a gimick. And I'm not trying to be a prude here, or saying they don't have the right to put what they want in the show. I'm just saying that I find it disappointing when telling a good story takes a back seat to shock value.

Timothy Fisher

Auditioning
I think The Sopranos is the finest television show I've ever seen. It is one of the few shows that I can watch over and over again. Great writing, great acting, great characters.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I seriously think the show is unrivaled with
respect to its culturally accurate portrayal of those of us
geographically located in the best city on earth.
This comment came as an unsolicited response when I emailed her about the May 20 street date for the season 4 DVDs. It immediately made me think of this thread. :laugh:

M.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I live in NYC (20 years) and Sex and the City seems very real to me. And I grew up in New Jersey, so The Sopranos seems very unreal to me.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Most unrealistic show depicting the actual people of NYC
Strange, but I can't think of another show that's even tried. Certainly no network sitcom has ever really attempted anything approaching realism (and I'm not even talking about the economics of living in NYC). So, S&tC may be both the most and least realistic show depicting the actual people of NYC. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks