What's new

Throwdown with Bobby Flay (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I get annoyed every time this show comes on. It's the ultimate in mean-spirited arrogance.

The premise is that Bobby Flay is the greatest chef in the world. So he's going to take on all the 'normal people' that have won cooking contests and try to beat/humiliate them at their game if he can. or as he arrogantly claims in the show opener, "I might even lose."

The really horrible, dirty part of the show is that Food Network doesn't tell the 'normal' that they're in a competition. These people think they're getting a half hour food network special about them and their winning cookery skills. So Food network sets up a big celebration for the chef's family and friends for the cook to prepare their signature dish for. Then just as this party is starting up. Bobby Flay shows up to tell them the show isn't about them at all, it's all about him, and now they have to battle him so he can show how much better he is at cooking than they are. Can you imagine the humiliation and frustration these people have to cover up when their time in the spotlight is stolen by a gigantic dick? And it's done in front of their family and friends as well, so they're practically obligated to defend themselves.

I've been avoiding the show because it endlessly frustrates me to watch how arrogant and awful Flay is throughout. but I accidently caught part of tonight's episode, just as Flay shows up to tell an New York Italian pizza guy. He looked ready to rip Flay's head off when Flay initially showed up. Then they cut away and he's all smiles and nodding like a good boy.

What a load of bullshit.

I've heard from my NYC fooodie friends that Flay was an enormous jerk, now I don't think I'll never bother eating in his restaurant if I'm there with the time and money to try out various eateries.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
Actually.. I've been quite shocked at how humble Flay (considering he's a huge a$$) has been in defeat AND in victory. It's definitely not fair to the "attacked", but then again Flay is going out of his comfort zone on many of the challenges as well.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I guess everyone's mileage is different, I really like the show.

I'm not going to comment about Flay personally because I have never met the man and refuse to take third party accounts as gospel since who know who has an axe to grid.

Granted the guest contestants are ambushed but they do get a lot of air time and many compliments from Flay so they are getting lots of good press. It's not as if Flay is doing a voice over where he says, "this guy thinks he can cook, watch me bitch slap him down to the meaningless level of insignificance that he really belongs on."

Besides the individuals can always refuse to participate if they want to so ultimately they choose to take part.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Bobby Flay has changed the most of any of the hosts during his long run on The Food Channel - for the worse, iMHO. From his humble beginnings with his country boy co-host standing over a gas grill in some simple backyard to his multiple shows and celebrity billing today. I liked him better in the earlier shows where he seemed more likable and interested in what he was doing. When I see him now in some show solo show formats, he looks bored and appears as though he is winging the show more than he should.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I much prefer Barbecue University (I think thats what its called) on PBS more than any of Flay's grilling shows.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
Chillin and Grillin... I believe that's Flay's first show... I thought he came off as a pompous ass on that show... I always got the feeling he was thinking, "What the hell am I doing on this show with this hick?" Hence my suprise that he's rather humble with the folks on Throwdown.

Patrick-- my opinions of Flay aren't based on any third party accounts, but rather my perceptions of him from watching shows he participates in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks