Throw out your DVD software! VHS IS BETTER!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jonathan Dagmar, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

I have long belived that only about 20% of the world populaion is intelligent. Many people have accused me of exaggeration. I on the other hand am starting to believe I have been to generous with that 20% figure.

I have just come across what is perhaps one of the most hilarious, most ridiculousl, and most laugh out loud at how bizzarre it is articles I have ever read.

http://www.adequacy.org/public/stori...12921.289.html

Some gems:

"While it's true that DVD theoretically has double the vertical resolution of VHS, this fact has nothing to do with how the picture is presented... ...DVD could *quadruple* the vertical resolution of VHS and there would be no visual gain from it! "

-Evidence about the alleged superiority of DVD picture versus VHS is largely anecdotal and suspicious

-Quite frankly, the digital sound that is employed by DVDs and satellite television is dreadful, and the same is largely true of compact discs. They lack the analog warmth that is present in VHS performances

-high-end sound formats such as "Dolby Digital 5.1" and "DTS" are pure junk. Scientists have demonstrated that the human brain is not capable of separating out more than four simultaneous sound channels at once

-majority of "special features" that are placed on DVDs are 100% crap. They are garbage that some DVD manufacturer threw together at the last minute in order to try to trick you into buying the disc

-Any special feature that is worth anything is going to also be included on the VHS version of the movie.

-The truth is that for all practical purposes, VHS is a better all-around home theater format than DVD

-even the most brainwashed DVD junkies admit that searching DVDs is a bit choppy.

From the comments section at the bottom:

-I think this all makes it obvious that I am exceedingly well-qualified to judge how annoying avid audio and video hobbyists are. People who reveal that they know anything about home entertainment equipment are totally obnoxious. The more they know about it, the more obnoxious they are. Just

2. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Is it April 1st?

Did you review HTF rules on pointless posts? [​IMG]

Onion article?

This is the funniest thing I've read. Please tell me this is some joke that I am just too dumb to get.

3. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    I wish it were, but the posts that follow the article lead me to believe otherwise.

4. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Yeah, it's satire site.

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    That article is hilarious. He thinks Harman Kardon is high end.[​IMG]

Note another article on the site: "Beating Children saves lives"

6. Jonathan Dagmar

Is it a satire site? I am not so sure at all. Some things point in that direction, but others clearly suggest it is meant to be a serious article.

I can certainly imagine a disgruntled VHS owner suffering from cognitive dissonance penning this article.

(If you don't know what congnitive dissonance is, I will try to explain. It is when a person sees something that he wants, but cannot easilly attain. Therefore he convinces himself that the "object" is no good to relieve himself of the anxiety that results from not having it.

Example:

A highschool kid has the hots for an extremely popular, beautiful girl. He doesn't feel that he could ever have her, so he convinces himself that she a b****.

Now I must apolgizes as it's clear this thread is about to go wildy off the topic I originally intended, so perhaps a mod could move it to a more appropriate forum?

7. Kwang Suh

Umm, did you bother to read the rest of the site?

"Baby Seal Skinning Factories: Has Their Time Come?"
    "Real Men use Realdolls"
    "Eugenics: The choice for a superior generation"

8. Jonathan Dagmar

Well, I read some of the other articles, and while I certainly noticed that many were completely off the wall, others were more plausable as serious commentaries. The websites (former) status as user submitted article "blog" suggest that it is not impossible than someone may have posted a serious article...

But you are probably right. The scary thing is that this article, satire or not, rings true to some degree. And the user comments and the bottom are certainly telling, as obviously many, many people applauded the article as a "breath of fresh air" not haviung any clue that is was supposed to be satire.

9. Kwang Suh

Oh dear. Perhaps the people that reply are in on the joke?

10. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

Look at the dates of this thing, that pretty funny too.

11. Jonathan Dagmar

some, but definitely not all.

12. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

well, my VHS Hi-fi tape of "Romeo is Bleeding" has a better sounding soundtrack than the flat, compressed anemic sounding DVD. Pic. on the other hand... [​IMG]
    And many audiophiles feel that at least for audio recordings originated in analog, Albums often sound better than 16 Bit CDs... SACD or DVD-Audio is a different story.

But what do I know....???

[​IMG]

13. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    'I agree completely but just want to add some things. The movie industry invented DVDs so that it would be impossible to copy the movies. The VHS market was flat so the electronics manufacturers are glad to have something new to sell you. There is no other reason, plain and simple. They don't look better on the screen and the sound out of the speaker is not any better. I found this out when I bought a DVD player from Walmart and tried it out. I took that stupid thing back the next day and got my $70 back. Who wants to watch a ten year old movie anyway? After that long it's been on cable 500 times and you could just record it. Special features? Who actually looks at that stuff? It's pointless.'

Okay, I know for sure I've been had and that you could sell me sand in a desert. The above is just too funny.

14. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Count me among those that found this funny, as a joke or as a serious article, but I definitely put my vote down for satire.

15. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

>> "When you take a DVD out of its case and load it into your player, the only way you're going to give that movie a fighting chance to last more than a month or two is to treat it as a brain surgeon treats a scalpel during a tricky operation. There is no reason that home theater has to be this inconvenient and clumsy. VHS tapes, on the other hand, are virtually impossible to destroy."

[​IMG]

16. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

>> "There are many little things that make VHS a better choice; for one, you don't have to put up with the annoying pause when a DVD player switches between layers on the disc."

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Well, honey, looks like we'll have to throw out every DVD we have! It's that damn layer change of half-a-second per movie (and *not* even every movie either, but since some have dual layers, they gotta go)!!

Let's go back to the much-less-annoying qualities of rewinding every tape, no chapter selections, fuzzy picture, and having nearly nothing in Widescreen that VHS offers!

Damn layer change has RUINED my life!! [​IMG]

17. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

CED Videodiscs are CLEARLY superior to any format. After all, they're designed so you never have to handle the disc, just insert the caddy in the player and the disc comes out! Plus they're read by a stylus, so you get the same "warmness" that you get from LP's! Bring back CED, NOW!!!!

www.cedmagic.com

18. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I think Shadow Puppetry is highly underrated.

19. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
  20. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

Does anyone else find it ironic that the original poster was making fun of other peoples intelligence and then fell for this article hook, line and sinker?

Andy