Throw Distance

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Torgny Nilsson, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

Is there some generally good throw distance for a FP? I am wiring a room for future FP use and need to decide how far back from the rear wall (or future screen) to put the ceiling power outlet and wire outlet.

I don't know what FP I will ultimately buy, but the specs on FPs such as the Sanyo PLV-70 all say they work from 4.7 feet on up. I am guessing that putting the outlets about 12 feet back would be good. I would not be using a screen that is more than 6 feet wide and 4 feet high or so because of room limitations.

Any thoughts?

2. Elias A.

Elias A. Stunt Coordinator

It depends on the model of projector you're planning to get and the size of your room. For example, I have a Panasonic L300U and I sit about 9 feet from the screen, so I wanted to have a screen that's 6 feet wide (horizontal, 16:9). It turned out that the projector needed to be about 10 feet from the wall. Other projectors are different, depending on the lens they use. Most projectors also have a zoom lens, which gives you some flexibility on placement. You should go to ProjectorCentral.com and use their projector calculator. Also, don't forget that most projectors vent out the back, so they need at least a foot of clearance behind them.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Why not wait until you get the projector before doing the wiring.....

But, just to give you a basic idea, a lot of projectors can give you a 100" 16x9 throw from a 12' mounting location so, you could either have your wires come out at 13', or you could have them offset to the side so that you have the flexibility of placing/mounting your projector anywhere from 11'-14' from the screen.

As mentioned though, the screensize you want, the size of the room, seating location, ceiling height all play factors in what you can accomodate. Just curious but what are the limitations of your room that limit you to the 72" screen width?

4. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

My room is only 10 feet wide and has a bookcase running down one side, so I assumed that I would not want a screen that is more than 6 feet wide.

And I can't wait to wire the room. We had a fire and are in the process of redoing all the drywall, etc. If I wait to run the conduit for the wiring, it will be much more expensive and damaging later.