What's new

Throw distance question? (1 Viewer)

tracy.t

Auditioning
I just bought the panasonic ae900 and a 106" diagnal dalite screen. I used the projector calculator, am I interpreting the numbers right it says that I should mount the projector anywhere in the range of 10'7 to 21'4 from the screen. where is the most optimal place I should mount the projector?? should I go in the middle at 14'3 or is the mounting of the projetor based on the distance where I'm going to be sitting at? or does it matter just mount it at anywhere between 10'7 and 21'4? also best buy and circuit city told me that at 25-30 feet of hdmi cable from my receiver to the projector I will lose picture quality? Is this true?? they told me that I'm better off to use component video instead. what are you guys using?? any suggestions? or should I just go ahead and run both hdmi and component so I don't have to phish the wires again in the basement. also I guess I should hire an electrician to install an outlet right next to the mount?? How do I wire that outlet that the projector is plugged into, to the monster power cleaner? or do I don't worry about clean power or surges??

Robb Mac

Auditioning
I would contact the manufacture of the projector.
They should be able to answer most of your questions.

As far as the electrician goes... I would want dedicated
power coming to the equipment.
In my system I have two dedicated lines to my HT system
and two to my Stereo system.

Clean power to your equipment can make a big difference
in picture quality and sound quality.
Some of Monsters products are favorably rated.

After you get everything installed you may want
to find a dealer that has a variety of power conditioners
that you could audition in your home.

I use balanced power conditioners. One was from a kit
and the other two are of my own design.
BPT brand conditioners are highly rated.
You can do a Google search for "balanced power conditioners" to find more options.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Tracy.

I am going to move your post over to the Display/Projectors area. Your details are a bit advanced for our basics area.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
1. Mount the projector anywhere between the two points given, and you will be able to achieve desired picture size.

2. The "guys" at CC and BB, though well meaning, are just wrong. HDMI is a digital connection sending bits of information in the form of ones and zeros. It wouldn't matter if the cable was one foot or a million feet. As long as the physical integrity of the cable is not compromised, it makes absolutely no difference. That is why sending audio and video information digitally, as far as possible from source to DACs, is so desirable. The information remains perfectly intact through a digital connection as opposed to analog. Think about it, if what they were telling you was true, what do you think would happen to this message I'm typing as it travels over the gazillion feet of cable from Japan until it reaches the forum server in the US? If anything, the signal would degrade over the component connection, since it's analog, long before it would degrade over any digital connetion. I will have a similar setup to yours using the AE900 with a 100" screen and I plan to run a 30' HDMI cable ONLY.

3. As for your last question, I think it depends on how clean you want your setup to look. If you want it to look really clean, then I would get a dedicated outlet installed next to the projector mount. I would also certainly use some kind of good line conditioner/surge protector. You can have a specialty UA rated one installed in the dedicated line so that you won't even have to see it.

Good luck.

Shane
Yamanashi prefecture, Japan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks