throw calculator

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JimHagstrom, Feb 17, 2005.

1. JimHagstrom

JimHagstrom Agent

I'm using the calculator on projector central and have a couple of questions about choosing a good projector based on this.

First I move the projector to the position that it will give my seating position that is within the recomended numbers they say.

Then I usually get this message about increasing screen size, grain or lower light or the opposite.

So should I then just slide the screen size to one that is not in the pink and bam that's the pest position?

Any help would be very much appriciated.

Thanks,

Jim

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Which projector are you looking at?
    What size is the room?
    How far is your first row of seating?

Chad

3. JimHagstrom

JimHagstrom Agent

I'm looking at:

Sony Cineza™ VPL-HS51
    Panasonic PT-L500U
    Panasonic PT-AE700U
    Sanyo Z3

something around $2000

room is 14 x 15 with a 18' lengh for have the room as the wall is set back 3 feet from the mid point.

I was thinking the first row would be aroun 10' but this could change. I plan on buying the first row and then see if I can get another row behind it.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Well if I recall the Panny and Sony are more of a long throw projector and the Sanyo is a short throw.
    So to get the bigger screen with the Panny or Sony you will have to use the 18' but with the Sanyo you would probably only need 12 - 13' to get the same picture size.
    If I were you I would drop the Panny 500 and get one of the other 3. Not sure if you can see one locally in your area but maybe see if a store if any forum members have one to demo for you.

Chad