Thriller

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Chris Muermann, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Chris Muermann

Hi, I´m new here in the forum and it looks great. I´m looking forward to be here every day.
    My first question: I wonder if there are plans to release the british TV series THRILLER on a DVD Box, which was aired in the mid 70´s.
    Perhaps somebody can help. Thanks. CHRIS

2. Chris Muermann

Hi, I´m new here in the forum and it looks great. I´m looking forward to be here every day.
    My first question: I wonder if there are plans to release the british TV series THRILLER on a DVD Box, which was aired in the mid 70´s.
    Perhaps somebody can help. Thanks. CHRIS

3. James Landau

James Landau Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for asking. I had just been thinking about posting a message on this very show. Indeed there are plans to release Brian Clemens' Thriller! It's being released by A&E/New Video and they have the first season tentatively scheduled for release on September 28. I'm really looking forward to it and hope they release the entire series. The consultant they hired for this release really knows his stuff so I'm pretty sure they will be releasing the original British version of each episode whenever possible (some aren't known to exist anymore, unfortunately). A small blurb on the release can be found on the New Video website but it hasn't been updated in ages.

4. James Landau

James Landau Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for asking. I had just been thinking about posting a message on this very show. Indeed there are plans to release Brian Clemens' Thriller! It's being released by A&E/New Video and they have the first season tentatively scheduled for release on September 28. I'm really looking forward to it and hope they release the entire series. The consultant they hired for this release really knows his stuff so I'm pretty sure they will be releasing the original British version of each episode whenever possible (some aren't known to exist anymore, unfortunately). A small blurb on the release can be found on the New Video website but it hasn't been updated in ages.

5. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

One wonders if the original British openings for those particular episodes could be reconstructed? I know the Dr. Who restoration team composes a "new" set of titles for every Dr. Who release, but of course, they have access to clean copies of the opening titles. Maybe the clean openings for Thriller still exist somewhere (or perhaps the original openings exist on some sort of off-air fan recording).

It is encouraging to hear they have a consultant on board. I had feared we'd see a mixed bag of original epsodic and movie-format versions, and that A&E would just use whatever was "pulled off the shelf." Their past track record (using edited episodes for Monty Python and the Mr. Bean Christmas special, for example) worried me a bit.

6. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

One wonders if the original British openings for those particular episodes could be reconstructed? I know the Dr. Who restoration team composes a "new" set of titles for every Dr. Who release, but of course, they have access to clean copies of the opening titles. Maybe the clean openings for Thriller still exist somewhere (or perhaps the original openings exist on some sort of off-air fan recording).

It is encouraging to hear they have a consultant on board. I had feared we'd see a mixed bag of original epsodic and movie-format versions, and that A&E would just use whatever was "pulled off the shelf." Their past track record (using edited episodes for Monty Python and the Mr. Bean Christmas special, for example) worried me a bit.

7. andrew markworthy

You non-Brits know more about this series than I do! What was Thriller about, please? I've no recollection of it, and in the mid-70s I practically lived, ate and breathed television.

8. andrew markworthy

You non-Brits know more about this series than I do! What was Thriller about, please? I've no recollection of it, and in the mid-70s I practically lived, ate and breathed television.

9. Chris Muermann

James, thanks very much for your replay. I hadn´t any hope to see a DVD release of THRILLER. And now you mentioned a September release tentatively.
    Here in Germany, THRILLER was shown in the early 80´s but never repeated since then. I have a few episodes taped at that time but of course they were dubbed in german as they do it with nearly most U.S. and British TV shows. Perhaps that´s good for germans who don´t speak english but I like the original without dubbing better so I´m really looking forward to that release.

Andrew, visit that site: tvtome.com/Thriller_1973/
    There you´ll find more info about THRILLER

10. Chris Muermann

James, thanks very much for your replay. I hadn´t any hope to see a DVD release of THRILLER. And now you mentioned a September release tentatively.
    Here in Germany, THRILLER was shown in the early 80´s but never repeated since then. I have a few episodes taped at that time but of course they were dubbed in german as they do it with nearly most U.S. and British TV shows. Perhaps that´s good for germans who don´t speak english but I like the original without dubbing better so I´m really looking forward to that release.

Andrew, visit that site: tvtome.com/Thriller_1973/
    There you´ll find more info about THRILLER