What's new

Thriller is coming to DVD!!!! (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Joe, I'm surprised you don't remember this show, having grown up around the same area and time I did. This "Thriller" ran late night Saturdays (11:30-1:00) on ABC in the mid 1970s. I believe the original U.S. title of the series was "The ABC Wide World of Mystery". Maybe the thread's title can be changed to that, in order to lure more U.S. fans of the show. I have a feeling alot of people who read "Thriller" only think of the Boris Karloff series, even though British fans know perfectly well what show this is.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
It's really not fair to review a series by just watching the first few episodes of Season One. I could easily say that Boris Karloff's Thriller was horrible just by watching the first few episodes. The series seemed to find it's groove in later seasons, but I thought the first season episodes are ok. You should really just think of the show as a series of TV movies back when TV movies were in their golden age the 70's. The A&E set is way overpriced and I can't imagine anybody being dumb enough to buy it when you can have the complete series U.K. DVD set for a few bucks more with a lot more interesting extras on it.

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator
I got this set brand new, still sealed, for $12 postage paid at Amazon Marketplace last week. I just checked and you can still get it for that price, even less if you want it used, only $8.00 including postage! ;)

I agree that the episodes are slow and padded, but that's relatively typical for a British show, especially one that is attempting to replicate something of the English Gothic tradition without all the usual Victorian trappings. Where others see ponderous repetition, I see "atmosphere." I think the show is excellent, but needs to be savored in weekly screenings, not daily or more.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Thanks, Glen! I was planning on renting this show from Netflix, but thanks to you, I ordered it for $8.61 total! That's an incredible price, considering it sells for $79.95 brand new! Also used my rewards gift certificate I got from using my amazon credit card regularly. Can't wait to watch it!

1 "Thriller - The Complete Season One"
Robert Powell; DVD; $5.63

Subtotal of Items: $5.63
Shipping & Handling: $2.98
------ Total: $8.61
Gift Certificates/Cards: -$8.61
------ Total for this Order: $0.00

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Actually, I grew up in the 1950s and 1960s, so the mid-1970s is past my time, so to speak. I lost interest in television somewhere in the first half of the 1970s, although looking back, those days seem great compared to what's on now.

To me there's only one "Thriller," and it was on NBC for two seasons, 1960-62.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

I hear ya Joe. However, I wouldn't dismiss this "Thriller". It was one of those unique shows back in the 70s, that had an "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" feel to it, but the fact that it was shot on videotape made you feel like you were experiencing the situations that were happening, live and in person. I was in my early teens when this show first ran on channel 7 in NY, for the series "The ABC Wide World of Mystery". I remember when the shows would come on, always turning off the lights in my bedroom, getting ready for a good scare or two. It was a fun show, some misses, but also plenty of hits. I was also a big fan of the Boris Karloff "Thriller" too, and am hoping those episodes will eventually come to DVD too...All in all, this Thriller has alot to offer, and while it comes from a different era than The Twilight Zone, Hitch Presents, Karloff's Thriller, etc, etc, the British "Thriller has alot to offer in its own unique British ways. You might give it a try, perhaps renting some of the first season episodes available for rent at Netflix and Blockbusters.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I agree, Carlos. I picked up the A&E set at a closeout price. The first three to four episodes of season 1 are so-so, in my opinion, but the show really does start picking up significantly after that.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Just got my set in the mail yesterday, and the first episode I watched was "The Dark at the Top of the Stairs." Without giving away the ending, I must say I was pleasantly surprised at the imaginative ending. I'm also a fan of Dark Shadows and I kept thinking this story would be worthy of Dark Shadows plus it was shot on videotape like DS so it had the same vibe. Hope the rest of the stories are as good.

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator

Hey Ron, I was just thinking about you last night with regards to THRILLER since I am the one who is more or less responsible for you getting it in the first place.;) I was wondering if you had watched any episodes yet and what your impression was thus far, so your posting from today was certainly appropriate timing.

I've watched the first five episodes, screening them once a week on Friday evenings. I've enjoyed each show so far and haven't felt any of them were ever less than good, most of them being excellent, both in content and form. I've already posted above regarding the pacing of the series, which doesn't bother me in the slightest, nor does the now quaint look of 70's videotape. In a way the latter reminds me of a more interesting variation on the old kinescopes of SUSPENSE, which have also been released on DVD and covered in another thread here. I personally enjoy the "time capsule" charm of old television no matter its inherent limitations.

Brian Clemens is a very intelligent and innovative writer and so far his work on THRILLER has been fascinating. Just when you think a story may be too derivative or contrived, you get a jolt with an ending that is so original and creative it is stunning. Episode 4, "AN ECHO OF THERESA," is like a well turned novel or feature theatrical film, yet is one and done in 65 minutes.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the series!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
For anyone who has the complete series set, or knows the full series- what is the % breakdown of Hitchcockian murder/suspense stories (like Echo of Threasa) vs supernatural (posession or someone at the top of the stairs)?

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
The majority of stories are about say hostage taking, women in danger, blackmailing and serial killers, the supernatural stuff is clearly in the minority unfortunately. Still the series is thought of as a 'horror' series, probably because of the many supernatural stories in the first season, but the later seasons do have some as well. Clemens must've thought it easier to write about ordinary crimes as oppossed to ghost stories, but even the non-supernatural stories have an eerieness to them, due to the superb atmosphere, so they will definitely still chill you. Apparently A&E have stalled the series on R1, so the full R2 set is the way to go.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Henry. Amazon UK has a great price on the set, but I was hoping for something that I could use as a Night Gallery-like substitute until someone releases further seasons of that.
A&E really misrepresents the series with that cover art they use (which is repeated as disc art). I still plan to check these out at some point, but great price or not, the thought of ordering a 16 disc set and then having to possibly deal with transatlantic returns due to scratched up floaters was more terrifying to me than any of the eps I've seen so far.
I do like the guest star roster, and the 70s vibe. If there wasn't a DD sale coming up I would probably still go for it.
Maybe in a couple months if its still heavily discounted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks