What's new

Thriller (Boris Karloff Series) Rumored coming to DVD (1 Viewer)

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
That sounds like "Parasite Mansion" starring Jeanette Nolan. She played an even creepier hag in the episode "La Strega" with Ursula Andress. Jeanette Nolan also played witches in episodes of Twilight Zone and Night Gallery.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Could also be the episode "Masquerade" with Tom Poston and Elizabeth Montgomery that is on the laserdisc set of "Thriller" that MCA put out a long time ago. The two stars spend the night in what seems to be a haunted house with, among others, the scraggly witch-type you describe.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
If he remembers it being silly then it was "Masquerade", but if it was scary it was "Parasite Mansion".

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Two other possibilities that Mick could be remembering are (1) the zuvembie from the Cajun Haunted Mansion at the conclusion of "Pigeons From Hell"....which to me was very atmospheric and very very scary coupled with that eerie musical score or perhaps he remembers (2) the old woman that stared in the mirror seeing herself as Donna Douglas in the opening of "The Hungry Glass". I haven't seen "Parasite Mansion" so that very well may be the episode that he's eluding to but I immediately thought of the zuvembie when reading Mick's post.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This was a frequently cool series. I was first in line for the 6-episode laser disc box set, but even with the few selections, two of them were pretty weak. Still, to get the genuinely frightening THE GRIM REAPER, with a very young William Shatner, on DVD is probably close to worth the total cost of the forthcoming set. Many other episodes, although not quite up to that one, are also well worth watching.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Here's some more exciting info about the upcoming Thriller set from Tim Lucas' Video WatchBlog http://videowatchdog.blogspot.com/:

I was invited by David J. Schow to participate in recording a couple of audio commentaries for Image Entertainment's release of the complete THRILLER series with Boris Karloff, scheduled for September or October of 2010. David, Ernest Dickerson and I shared the commentary duties on "The Grim Reaper" featuring William Shatner and Natalie Schafer (my favorite THRILLER episode) and "The Premature Burial" featuring Karloff himself. The sessions went really well. I'm told that other episodes will feature commentators like episode director Arthur Hiller, LOST SKELETON director Larry Blamire, filmmaker and soundtrack buff Jim Wynorski, Eighties TWILIGHT ZONE producer Alan Brennert, TWILIGHT ZONE historian Marc Scott Zicree, FANTASTIC TELEVISION author Gary Gerani, and others -- including a dozen or more by Mr. Schow, author of the justly celebrated book THE OUTER LIMITS COMPANION. The producers at Image are also trying to involve some of the surviving actors from the series for comment. Some isolated music scores are also promised. Image's THRILLER, sublicensed from Universal, promises to be the most important archival horror DVD release of next year.

Real Name
Mick Hyperion
Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm definitely going to be getting this set when it's released.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Wait...what does this mean? The episodes won't all have the original scores? [/url]

Some isolated music scores are also promised. Image's THRILLER, sublicensed from Universal, promises to be the most important archival horror DVD release of next year.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
The Twilight Zone sets also had isolated score tracks. It is considered a special feature. It gives the viewer the option to listen to the background music alone without the actor's voices or other sound effects. It is not replacement music.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
The isolated score tracks to certain episodes sounds very intriguing--hopefully a couple of these will feature Jerry Goldsmith's work. So glad that Paramount is not doing this set. Pete Rugulo's contribution would probably be available as an isolated track, only reworked by Mark Heyes on the synthesizer.

As for Goldsmith, he won a well deserved Emmy for his work on the series "Thriller":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4D8NSItHQU&feature=related

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
News today that Image has crept closer to filing Chapter 11:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSSGE5BE0K620091215

Lots of companies manage to plod along despite being bankrupt (there's still a thriving K-Mart in Manhattan), but I have a sick feeling this may throw a monkey-wrench into Thriller, after we've waited so long. I just hope everybody who contributed to the extras got paid already.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Man, that's bad news. They have already blown the money producing the extras, so we'll just have to hope it gets released. Damn Universal for refusing to release this series on DVD.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Well this puts the lie to the old refrain that some people here always harp on: that the major studios are just greedy or inept for saying they can't remaster all eps of a series and have great extras and make a release profitable. ("Image can do it, so why can't Fox?!!") Never ASSUME that the smaller companies like Image were making profits on these releases. They may very well have been existing on credit, as appears to be the case here. I hope they continue in business, but I must say I'm very glad to have gotten my Dick Van Dyke Show and Twilight Zone dvds if they do have to close up shop. They do good work, and I wish them the best. I'll certainly support a Thriller release if it comes out.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget the 60 episodes of Naked City that they put out. They did a super job on those. Too bad they couldn't get the rights to all of the 99 hours.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

Don't forget the 60 episodes of Naked City that they put out. They did a super job on those. Too bad they couldn't get the rights to all of the 99 hours.

Yeh. :(

Anyone have a list of what they did and didn't put out of the hour shows?

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Originally Posted by michael_ks

The isolated score tracks to certain episodes sounds very intriguing--hopefully a couple of these will feature Jerry Goldsmith's work. So glad that Paramount is not doing this set. Pete Rugulo's contribution would probably be available as an isolated track, only reworked by Mark Heyes on the synthesizer.

As for Goldsmith, he won a well deserved Emmy for his work on the series "Thriller":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4D8NSItHQU&feature=related

Your comment about Paramount made me laugh. The good thing, however, is I don't think we'll have to worry about any of the music being replaced on this set. All of it was composed originally for "Thriller." The only thing I'm worried about now is Image possibly going bankrupt.

Image did a fantastic job with "The Twilight Zone" collection. In fact, that collection was the best as far as TV collections on DVD are concerned, in my opinion. I'm really excited about this release. I've seen some episodes but not all. "The Grim Reaper" with William Shatner was great, but there others I've never seen before but understand are fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks