What's new

Thriller (Boris Karloff Series) Rumored coming to DVD (1 Viewer)

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Terrific! I've got another Karloff TV series that is in pretty bad shape, from some minor company... was that Thriller too? Half the time he introduces it while sitting in front of a fire place, and Karloff takes the odd starring role in it. But the dvd is buried under a big pile right now...

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
No, that was THE VEIL, which was produced at HAL ROACH STUDIOS about a year or two before THRILLER

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've only seen a couple of episodes, but they were enough to make me hope for the series for several years now. I just hope they aren't time-compressed like Combat!.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Sweet. Been waiting a long time for this one. There is still hope for B&W classic TV!!!!!

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
You can all thank me for this, since I should have known as soon as I decided to buy the series on DVD-R that a proper release would come shortly thereafter.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Originally Posted by John Stell ">[/url]

You can all thank me for this, since I should have known as soon as I decided to buy the series on DVD-R that a proper release would come shortly thereafter.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Woo hoo!!! Boris Karloff's THRILLER has been my most-wanted MIA classic TV show on R1 DVD, and it sounds like it's getting the "full series" royal treatment it deserves!

If it all pans out without a hitch, that now moves the criminally neglected/forgotten T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) into my most-wanted "unreleased on R1 DVD" spot, followed by:

• Alfred Hitchcock's SUSPICION (1957-58) Universal
  • CORONET BLUE (1965/1967) CBS/Paramount
  • Roald Dahl's WAY OUT (1961) home video rights unknown
  • THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) Universal
  • PANIC! (1957-58) home video rights unknown
  • THE WESTERNER (1960) Four Star... perhaps VCI?
  • MAVERICK (1957-62) Warner Bros
  • THE IMMORTAL (1970) CBS/Paramount
  • ULTRA Q (1966-67) Tsuburaya Productions
  • BATMAN (1966-68) Fox... though I'm not holding my breath on this one.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I think Universal was waiting for bootleg sales to hit one million before they decided to sell it.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Originally Posted by chas speed

I think Universal was waiting for bootleg sales to hit one million before they decided to sell it.
Are studios really checking such thing to see what's popular?

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I think he was being facetious, but in full disclosure, I was probably that frustrated and millionth customer a little while back.

Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow

Are studios really checking such thing to see what's popular?

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by John Stell /forum/thread/293716/thriller-boris-karloff-series-rumored-coming-to-dvd#post_3615043

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I do think major studios study bootleg sales and OOP VHS titles on ebay. I think that's why you'll see an old TV movie like "The Girl Most Likely to" get a DVD release. I can't think of any title that I have seen more bootleg ads for online then "Thriller". One popped up at the top of the screen when I viewed this thread. I still can't imagine why Universal never wanted to cash in on this series while everybody else did.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

... I think that's why you'll see an old TV movie like "The Girl Most Likely to" get a DVD release....

Er, I think it's more the fact that it stars Stockard Channing and Ed Asner,and was co-written by Joan Rivers had something to do with that good it released. (And it's been out on DVD since 2005!)

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Er, I know "The Girl Most Likely to" was released on DVD in 2005. I bought it when it came out and I also know people were selling a lot of VHS copies on ebay for a lot of money for years before the DVD was released. Ed Asner and Stockard Channing have done a ton of TV work ( Seen any "Lou Grant" DVD's out there? ) most of it's not on DVD. It's still fairly rare when a 70's TV movie gets a DVD release (especially 4 years ago!).

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

Er, I know "The Girl Most Likely to" was released on DVD in 2005. I bought it when it came out and I also know people were selling a lot of VHS copies on ebay for a lot of money for years before the DVD was released. Ed Asner and Stockard Channing have done a ton of TV work ( Seen any "Lou Grant" DVD's out there? ) most of it's not on DVD. It's still fairly rare when a 70's TV movie gets a DVD release (especially 4 years ago!).

ok :)

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I'm kind of shocked "Lou Grant" never did get a DVD release, but I'll save that for another thread.

Real Name
Mick Hyperion
Wow, I really hope this is the tv series I've been wondering about for years, but had no clue what it might have been called as I had only seen maybe an episode or two as a child back in the 70s. All I could remember was it being episodic, black and white, and in the horror vein. Now that I've seen it mentioned, I do seem to remember Boris Karloff being involved. I only saw the show in syndication when my family was vacationing in California.

Does anyone recall if there was ever an episode involving a haunted house type of setting and featuring a scraggly white haired old hag or witch? I would be thrilled (no pun intended) to find out that this was the series containing that story! It scared me quite a bit as a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks