What's new

Threshold ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
This seems like a show that might work better as a 12 part miniseries. Not sure how long they can keep up the storylines.

-Also, the short guy who plays the linguist. Played the same smartass type character in the movie Elf.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
If it does turn out like the 4400 idea that would be bad. 4400 hasn't been able to deal with this premise in an interesting way.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
It was about what I expected, and I enjoyed it.

My biggest nit: I'm all for depicting new and innovative ways that we can be invaded by intelligent aliens, but the notion of using sound to alter our DNA is just too far out there. The depiction of the Christmas ornament made me think of a pan-dimensional object who's 3-dimensional "shadow" manifested in what we saw. That it could be a tool capable of altering molecular structures from within was something I found, refreshingly, entirely plausible, not to mention pretty cool. I was pleased when one of the characters confirmed my pan-dimensional suspicions. But when the video of the ornament began to affect the characters, I groaned. It's like shooting someone with a picture of a gun, I thought, or blinding someone with a video of a laser. Double Groan. When it was revealed that it was the sound alone that affected the changes, I very nearly turned it off.

That's one strike.

But I hung in there, and the rest was watchable. And I must admit, it's good to see Brent Spiner working on weekly TV again, though I too was shocked and dismayed to see Braga's name at the end. I'm surprised the show isn't called "Prime Directive".

I like the dog.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Very interesting premise. Well executed premiere in my opinion. I'm enjoying this season so far with so many genre shows once again on air. It was getting ridiculous with so many crime shows.

Let's see where they take us with this.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Like other people here, my VCR conked out on me so I missed the entire episode. I really wanna see it before I watch the 2nd ep. Did anyone tape this and/or have it on a dvr? If so...can anyone make me a copy so that I could see this ep?
Any help would be great. My E-mail is [email protected]

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
On the premise alone, I would have skipped this, but when an ensemble cast features four actors I like (Peter Dinklage, Charles S. Dutton, Carla Gugino and Brent Spiner), it's worth a look. While the premise didn't strike me as novel, the production values were a cut above the usual network fare, and the cast is good enough to "sell" the reality of the situation (which is an important and under-appreciated factor in effective horror/sci-fi, IMO). I'll stay with it for as long as it lasts, but I'm not optimistic, given the timeslot.

M.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

They said it was a North Korean sub I believe and the Coast Guard doesn't do ASW prosecutions.

That said, the North Korean angle almost killed the show for me.

I thought the second hour was significantly better and I'll stick with it for now. I find the "mystery" interesting and like Gugino, Spiner, and the guy from Elf. I don't like the other Red Team member (forgot his name) and the alpha male is probably the most boring and uncharasmatic I've seen on a show in a long time. Zero sexual tension between him and Gugino.

I will be disappointed if it goes to a "special person of the week" format.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

The cast is the only thing that got me to watch. Bragas name on it is a bad sign. I am hoping it gets better. Will give it one more chance.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If people are going to refer to Peter Dinklage by his other films, at least use the one where he played the lead (The Station Agent). :)

He's a fine dramatic actor with genuine range (his Richard III last season at The Public was widely praised, and justly so). It reflects well on the creators of Threshold[/] that they thought of using him, but I'll be disappointed if they waste his talents on wisecracks.

M.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The idea behind towing it was that we'd still possess it. Any abandon vessel is, as we all know, fair game for whoever gets there first.

Can you imagine a N. Korean sub firing on one of our ships? Sounds like West Wing fodder to me!

I only pointed that out because no one else did. I also noticed that the crew of the ship wasn't exactly in uniform. Some were, but some weren't too. The point being that if they keep on making mistakes they're going to lose an audience.

Glenn

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Indeed. I just saw The Baxter (he's one of two good things in that movie) last night, too, and I have to say I really like the guy, and really like seeing him getting parts where his size is completely beside the point.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
You can't tell me their aren't any Naval ships off the coast of Washington DC? And even then. Their are no ships at Norfolk Naval Base that could'nt be there within 6 hours???

Also, I think they made the sub Korean and not Russian to be politically correct. Remember, the Russians are our friends.

Sloppy writing.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

There is no doubt that the military side of this show was all screwed up but this issue I had less of a problem with. We do have auxilary ships in our navy that are made up of a combination of civilian and navy crewmen.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode was a mixed bag, but sort of compelling enough to watch because there are crumbs that the writers give us as to who is and isn't affected by the signal to keep the "mystery" going for now.

Of course, I had the "Can't Stop the Signal" vibe going through my head due to Serenity, but I digress.

Kudoes on the writer who thought it would be a good idea to have Gugino in a showered environment for no real reason in terms of the story (was that really the only way to keep the cadets at bay)?

I did like the little "Karen Sisco" nod with giving Molly the cover of U. S. Marshall.

The red team members seem to have too little to do, and Molly gets a lot of air time. J.T. is so over-the-top, I feel bad for Dutton at times.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have no idea why she set off the sprinklers. At first I thought she was using it as an interrogation technique - the aliens confess when wet! I think things will only get worse, as much as I like Gugino.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I thought she set off the sprinklers to initiate the fire alarm. More of a cry for help than keeping anyone at bay, imho. TPTB could have explained that move a lot better.

I ran out of room on my DVR last week and missed the pilot, so I'm new to the show. I wished Threshold was doing a bit better in the ratings so CBS would rerun the pilot episode. They couldn't block out some time on one of their sister cable stations, like Spike, for instance?

I was really intrigued at how freaky weird this show is... it may have to fight Bones for my pick of favorite new fall show.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
I just got around to watching last night's episode, and it was pretty average. I think I'll give it one more episode. It appears that every week is going to be a wild goose chase for another "infectee"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation615
Recent bookmarks