Three's Company sets - yellow/orange lines?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Esten, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

Has there been any explanation as to why alot of the episodes throughout the series have yellow/orange discolored lines that sometimes pop up in the episodes? Even the TVLand airings exhibit this.

I've only seen similar problems in old recorded VHS, which is a result of video head problems.

2. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Without seeing them myself, they sound like dropouts on the master tapes (which are indeed similar to your VHS example).

3. Pavan_P

Pavan_P Second Unit

I think they are only on some episodes of S3 and S4. I have an advanced copy of S8, and the video looks so great.

4. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

I don't recall any on the S3 or S4 DVDs ... or any of the sets for that matter.

5. Robbie^Blackmon

Robbie^Blackmon Stunt Coordinator

Short Answer : Magnetic, analogue tape sucks. Older tape sucks even more.

Long Answer:
    If the episodes were, indeed, sourced from 2-inch tape, I'd say it is a case of "quad-banding"-- a colour disturbance caused by any number of factors including a damaged source, a sloppy/outdated/worn transfer, or under-tweaked equipment used in the transfer. Older playback equipment usually has to be rented (off-site of course, and usually many states away), is expensive per hour to use, and needs lots of encouragement to yield the best results (adjustments after every ten minutes of playback are not unheard of!), which takes time and eats up cash really quickly.

At any rate, the effect is present in other shows on dvd: The Jeffersons, Sanford and Son, Good Times, All in the Family and others. And, I might add, those orange/green/red bands were much more prevalent on syndication copies in the late 70's and early 80's. Much, much worse.

Just don't listen to any episode of Three's Company with headphones... Those old tapes have some bad audio "ghosting". During quieter moments you can hear loud sounds several times over before they actually happen-- and then they echo again afterwards!

6. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I love the season sets on dvd, but the quality of the first few seasons(the Roper years) are quite bad. Around season 5 the picture gets much better.
    Some people don't seem to notice the orangeish line through the middle of the picture, or maybe they don't care. I wish I were more like them, because it definately bugs me.

7. Brandy681

Brandy681 Stunt Coordinator

I am sorry if this has allready been posted elsewhere but does anyone know when the Ropers Place" Seasons sets are going to be released?? Thanx

8. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    A lot of things I've noticed about videotaped TV shows on DVD are:

—Color banding (discussed here)
    —Inconsistent scene-to-scene color balance, especially on Metromedia-based shows like The Jeffersons, The Facts of Life, and Gimme a Break. Some shots have very reddish blacks.
    —Every other shot having green corners on the edges (overscan on TV may hide this, but since I got a 16x9 TV I have been noticing them), noticeable mainly on CBS Television City-based shows such as Match Game and Three's Company.
    —Every other shot having green fringing, similar to a 3-strip Technicolor movie that won't align properly (also on CBS Television City shows)

This is mainly in the 2-inch tape era, except for the scene-to-scene color balancing. I imagine that when the video shows switched to 1-inch tape things got better. There is less color banding and none of the green corners or fringing.

This sounds to me like something inherent in the videotape process.

The sad things about shooting in tape at that time, in hindsight, is two-fold: first, that with HDTV a reality the shows will never look better than they do on their DVD releases. And second, the most alarming, is the questionable longevity of magnetic media. It is far less resilient than film, and the formats change far more often than film has. Consider that you need to go on a wild goose chase to find a machine to play the 2" tapes of All in the Family or Laugh-In, whereas an original print of 1903's the Great Train Robbery can be projected on modern 35mm equipment (assuming all nitrate safety precautions, but that's only relevant to the materials in manufacture, not the format).

Then there's hoping that when they transfer these to non-obsolete tape formats, they remember to transfer the network version and not the syndicated one (it could be mismarked).

9. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Problems that occur on every other shot were most likely due to that particular camera being out of adjustment. In that event the show would have been originally recorded and aired that way.

Networks used their original color studio cameras for DECADES, and performance would suffer.

10. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew

That would explain the similar defects based on studio, especially CBS Television City.

11. Chuck89

Chuck89 Auditioning

I noticed that the last 2 seasons of Three's Company when it moved from CBS TV City to Metromedia Square seem to be a lot clearer.
    Although it was still based at CBS,during S4,two episodes were taped at Metromedia,which were
    Jack the Ripper and The Life Saver.Maybe CBS needed there studio for those 2 weeks?
    When all of the Metromedia based sitcoms(except Gimme A Break)moved to Universal Studios in the fall of 1982,some of the shows IMO,were brighter and some like Diff'rent Strokes had a more orange hue to it.

12. Brandy681

Brandy681 Stunt Coordinator

I just bought this set last week and have not noticed any problems at all with the set.. I bought seasons 1-3 though and haven't purchased the rest yet but have finished watching them and haven't noticed a problem and I am quite picky about small errors with sets. Do you thibk replacements were made?